Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

TSI turbo kit installed on 08 SI!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Default TSI turbo kit installed on 08 SI!

Got the TSI turbo kit for 08 Si. Despite it having some wrong parts and missing the air filter and some clamps, we successfully got in on the car after abut 15 hours, with some modifying and fabricating.

The setup seems solid and looks good. However the AEM FIC that came with has failed to tune it properly so its running pretty rough right now. I think once it gets a good tune it will be alright. Waiting till monday to talk to TSI. Any suggestions?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Default RE: TSI turbo kit installed on 08 SI!

Sounds like some good stuff, got any pictures? I'm curious to see how a turbo setup looks like, besides buried under the dashboard lol.

I'm not liking the FIC much. I just put one on a RB20 240 the other day and it just looked like it wasn't wonderful, but it was definitely tunable. However, I take it the DBW will make it run like utter ****.

I don't know if Hondata has anything out for the 08 yet, but once that comes around I'd definitely jump on that post haste.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

Hondata does make any form of engine management for the 08 and as far as I know they do not plan on making anything either. The AEM FIC or Greddy emanage are your tuning options.Whyweren't you able to tune it with AEM FIC?How much boost are you running? Make sure you baby that thing until you get properly tuned.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 AM

The AEM FIC is supposed to plug right in,(with the harness I paid extra for), and allow the car to run right with the turbo. However, it runs very poorly, sputtering and hesitating. It hardly boosts until after about 4500 rpm, which it will reach as high as 9psi. Even with boost its not running how it should. Ive found out people are having the same issues with the R18 TSI kit in the tuning department. TSI is supposed to call me monday, so hopefully I can some answers.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:51 PM

You probably need to tune the AEM FIC. I mean, it's not the best thing in the world but it's not terrible either if you have no other choice.

Careful with the sputtering, generally if it's sputtering and heaving it's because it's lean.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Talked to TSI today and had some light shed on the problem. Apparently it was bad packing as to why I was missing some clamps and the air filter, and had the wrong intercooler piping. We got everything on so it wasnt a big deal, but still, you should get what you pay for right?

Next issue was tuning. They said the AEM FIC was tuned only enough to get the car running so you can take it to a tuner. Thats kind of what I figured, but I wanted to be sure.

Everything is holding up great, I just need to have it tuned now. I'll post updates and pics/movies soon.[/align]

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: matt_hulsey

Talked to TSI today and had some light shed on the problem. Apparently it was bad packing as to why I was missing some clamps and the air filter, and had the wrong intercooler piping. We got everything on so it wasnt a big deal, but still, you should get what you pay for right?

Next issue was tuning. They said the AEM FIC was tuned only enough to get the car running so you can take it to a tuner. Thats kind of what I figured, but I wanted to be sure.

Everything is holding up great, I just need to have it tuned now. I'll post updates and pics/movies soon.[/align]
Can you get it tuned without a chipped ECU?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

^ He has AEM FIC, which is kind a fuel and ignition controller. It's not exactly Hondata, but it works ok.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM

Alright, got a tune lined up for friday morning, updates coming!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Forgot to post updates. Took it to tuner, he couldnt get it right, said it needed a fuel pump. Drove home with car not running right, and left the next day for vacation with car sitting in garage. Talked to TSI and they swear it doesnt need a fuel pump, but tuner couldnt get it to put out enough fuel.

Anyway, replaced BOV with diverter valve so its recirculating and it is running smoother now.However, when it boosts for a moment it will go into limp mode. Going to leave it with tuner tomorrow, he's going to install fuel pump and tune it. Maybe this will set it right.

Quick Reply: TSI turbo kit installed on 08 SI!