Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Tapping oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Tapping oil pan

I'm going to be tapping or making a hole of some kinda for my oil return line. I was wondering how everyone else was doing their oil return lines and their opinions on it.

I have an idea on what I wanna do, but I can't seem to find the fitting anywhere. I'll try to draw a picture on paint or something and post it. thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tapping oil pan

remove the pan, drill holes, bolt it on, then get some welds around it to hold it on. SOme people i've seen while searching around looking for a turbo DIY dont mention welding at all, but i think the oil return is what killed Forty's engine, so i'd highly recommend a weld. The D16y7 has a steel pan and you can bolt it onto your y8 (i think thats what you have?), and the steel pan would weld way better than the y8's aluminum one.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

The aluminum pan isn't the problem, it's finding a nut that's aluminum. I can get it tig'd at school or I can weld it myself with an aluminum mig welder. My pan is already off and I'm awaiting to see the responses. I found this fitting where I work,except it was for a rubber hose and had curved pressure plates instead of straight ones(refer to the pic.). Iwas wondering if a fitting like this would work. I also thought ofgetting a piece of alunmium pipe and welding that in the oil pan, instead of this fitting.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

of course with that fitting ^^^ Green locktite will be used.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 PM

jus make sure it dosent leak.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

Does the D16Y7 Steel oil pan have the same volume as the aluminum D16Y8, and will it get in the way of my dust cover for my tranny. The y8 also has two stabilizer gussets that bolt from the tranny to the oil pan, does the steel pan have this as well?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

i dont think i've heard of any customization/problems with swapping the y7 pan

Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

ok, so that is one option... what if I decide I don't want to buy a different pan, I need opinons on the aluminum pan.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

Does the D16Y7 Steel oil pan have the same volume as the aluminum D16Y8, and will it get in the way of my dust cover for my tranny. The y8 also has two stabilizer gussets that bolt from the tranny to the oil pan, does the steel pan have this as well?
No, steel oil pan does not come with the two stabilizers.

If you want to used your aluminium oil pan, then find a good certified welder than knows how to weld aluminium. Or buy one of those oil tap kits that come with the edelbrock and greddy kits.

For my set up, I swapped my oil pan to a steel one (80 bucks new from honda) and welded one of this oil bungs from atpturbo.com.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=ATP-OIL2

and used one of this fitting to connect it to my 10an oil return line.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=ATP-OIL1

Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

alright... that's some good info. that link that you have posted...
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=ATP-OIL2

I might just buy that alumnium bung and have that welded. I could weld it in but I'd have to drive 30mins just to get to the welder, plus it's a mig so the weld wouldn't be as clean. Instead I'm going to take it to school and have one of my friends in the hy-po welding class tig it for me.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Quick Reply: Tapping oil pan