Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Supra turbo on civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Default Supra turbo on civic

i didnt know where to put this so if it the wrong place im sorry. the other day i was at my dad friend house helping him clean up his yard. hes an mechanicand has lot of old cars in his back yard and were trying to scrap them to get rid of them. anyways in one of his car, in the trunk we found this turbo tht came out off his old supra tht he had sometime ago. my question is can i put this on my D16y7 motor? i dont know much about turbo but im sure u guys do. if u guy need pic just let me know so i can go back to his house and take pic of it. i also have the intercooler too.

again this turbo came out of a 1991 or1992 toyota supra.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Supra turbo on civic

Im not going to sit here and say I know a lot about supras, so I will do what I can. I know that supras are inline 6 cyl, so typically the turbo is going to be too big for your honda. When I say too big, I mean its going to take much more rpms to spool it up due to the size. Im not sure what size the turbo is so I can say whether its a BAD choice or a good one. Some of those cars were twin turbo I believe, so if it was, id imagine they were 2 smaller turbos, which may be useable. However, in all honesty......A D series engine is pretty small, so there are plenty of turbos you can use, and theyre not that expensive. See if you can get the specs on the turbo....if its too big, you can just buy a smaller one, for under 200$. Building a turbo kit for your car requires many more parts than the turbo itself. Basically what im trying to say is that just getting a free turbo wont cut that much out of a turbo kit, because there are many other parts that are needed. PM me if youve got more Q's,

Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 PM

I understand and I know u need more parts than just the turbo but truthfully I been reading most of the turbo topic. and if this turbo can fit and I mean if it do fit than I think I can run a small turbo set up and still keep my stock parts. but if it doesn't fit I have nothin to loose lol. but ill get the spec up sometime it maybe stupid but I though allturbo was the sae onlything was sum are bigger and some were smaller but I though any turbo could go in any car ( I know stupid me for thinking tht)

Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

Oh you CAN put it on your car, but it might not be efficient for your car. Here let me make it easy for you. I have an F250 turbo diesel truck, its got a huge *** garrett turbo on it. Could I put that on my honda? Sure could, with some custom fabrication you could put ANY turbo on BUT. The truck has a 7.3 liter engine, so its moving tons of air on its own, which spool up the turbo and that feeds the motor ***-loads of boost........but a honda engine will hardly spin the turbo, and it wont even get into boost.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 PM

when u put it like tht even a 5 year old would understand lol. the reason why I'm so interest is I saw these 2 turbo civic driving side to side and yo tht sh*t was so quite I didn't even know the car was on. same goes for the turbo charge eclispe thts in my neighborhood but the eclispe is even more dangerous because the car could be on and u will never know unless ur drving it that how quite it is. so I'm a jealous guy and I was never planning on goin boost but I got 2 of the more important part needed to go boost for free. and I just love how blow off value sounds when u change gears

Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

What condition is the turbo in? I would be a little bit weary of using a 15 year old turbo.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 PM

^ i never thought about how old the turbo was but to be honestly when i look at it, it didnt look tht old to me but im no expert but really and truely it did look tht old. and i do remember him driving the supra he got into an accident and than he bought a dodge 1500

but i see what u guys are saying tho about th size and the age.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

get the turbo and get the serial #'s off of it, then we could prolly Google it and find some specs on how big it is, if its a smaller turbo that was originally one of hte two twin turbos, that might be usable.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 PM

i will thanks guys thanks for all ur help. ill get the information on the turbo sometime this week its tax free week here in florida for back to school sale. so i have to do all my shopping this week. so i wont have much time

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Probably a smaller turbo, but sure it would work. However, realize that turbocharging your car gets very expensive very fast. The turbo may be free, but you're still looking at 1500+ in parts even if you get some stuff cheap.

Quick Reply: Supra turbo on civic