Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Is Supercharger suitable for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Default Is Supercharger suitable for me?

Feedback please. I've been reading the posts and I thinksc would fit me better for these simple reasons:
1)I don't rev my engine up beyond 4000 rpm due to the wear it causes onthe engine. That would mean that I won't benefit from turbos since most of the power comes after 3000 rpm.
2)Working with lower rpms, I'd need instant pull/boost in and out of freeways - which sc will provide that instant kick. I rev up to 3500 before every gear shifts. All I want is to get up to 70mph as soon as possible. (I rarelyneed to speed up any higher than 80mph) And at 4th gearautomatic, I can reach that speed w/ 3200 rpm.
3)Looking at the dyno chart in the intro section, it seems that I'd benefit from sc bacause it provides that extra tq/hp before reaching 5000 rpm while turbo enables you to reach higher hp at 5000rpm and higher.
4)I would benefit most when I drive uphill. (unless I rev up past 4000 rpm)
Am I correct in my analysis or is turbo still better?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is Supercharger suitable for me?

it would serve a purpose for you if you are a daily driver. research about belts breaking and problems like that. Honda auto trannys aren't very strong i don't know if i would supercharge and auto. But other people with more experience would be able to help you with that. Maybe Sov. will see this and help

Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kenneth11588

I don't rev my engine up beyond 4000 rpm due to the wear it causes on the engine.
What wear?

Your problem is going to be your automatic transmission...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 AM

Ehh... if you want low end power you're better off going with another car line. That's in all honesty.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM

I guess a little tune upwould do me more good than getting the fan blower. I was thinking since my engine is small, 1.6L, it would benefit most from a sc. But then again, I might as well just put that $$$ into an engine swap.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're using your civic to commute, seeing as you seem to be talking a lot about highway speed. A supercharger will give you more initial power, but if you're just looking for a little extra kick to make merging easier there's a couple ways you could do that. Look into a short ram intake because they offer the most power gains in the low rpm range, and a quality performance exhaust system will help too. You could buy both for less than the price of a supercharger. Besides, if you don't have a performance exhaust system on the car you won't reach your full potential power as your supercharger will blow more air into the engine, but it doesn't make it any easier for it to come out.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM

I commute and do a lot of freeway driving. I've done AEM CAI &Buddyclub muffler. I hesitate to replace theheader since it only provides 5hp increase. I'm really happy w/ the much better throttle response so far but could stilluse an extra kick.The stock 1.6L engineis small but I thought a littlehelp from the forced induction woulddo the trick. NOthing fancy, just that little extra kick when I need it getting into the freeway.But then again, based on the feedback, I think adding a sc to a small engine wouldnot be the best idea.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 AM
mxs
HCF Member

the problem isn't the small engine, we all have small engines here.

you'd get that extra "kick" when merging if you had a 5-speed trans and stayed in a lower gear for longer.

(edited because I can't spell "gear")

Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM

^ This.

And like I said, if you're looking for the "low end kick" you're just not going to find it with a Honda. If you want to merge faster you're going to need to string out the engine a little bit to where it makes most of it's given power.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

you're going to need to string out the engine a little bit to where it makes most of it's given power.
what's worse than having a 120hp engine.... never revving above 3500 RPM

Honestly I think you'd find your "problem" would solve itself if you got a manual trans and changed your driving style a little bit (i.e. actually using VTEC)

Quick Reply: Is Supercharger suitable for me?