Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

The Super D lives!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:26 PM
HCF Member
Default The Super D lives!!!

Yeah, I know it's been a while, but I have been workin like a dog and finally got around to getting all of my junkyard turbo stuff in. The main thing holding me up was the welding since I dont' own a welder. Anyway, here are some preliminary pics. I am gonna get some video soon.

Ok, keep a couple of things in mind whilst perusing these pics. First, I know my engine bay is a mess so zipit. Second, the point of this project was to see how inexpensively I could go from NA to BOOOST so keep the parts upgrades suggestions to a minimum. I used what was at hand and what I could source out without a fab shop in my backyard.

Just for those of you who don't know (or remember), the turbo isa tdo5h (14b) I got off of a junked 1G Eclipse. I also scored the side mount IC, bovand the injectors.

Here's the HF manifold mated to the turbine with an adapter plate that I ordered from BMT racing or something like that. It's a quality piece. Cost me ~ $60 It was a minor PITA as theadapteris standard threaded and the turbo flange is metric. That charge pipe is a scrap piece I found at my brother's house. I told you it was ghetto. Get over it.

Here's more of the charge piping. Other than that scrap piece, most of it was still attached to the dsm ic when I took it off.I wanted to avoid ordering a mandrel bend kit ($) even though it will be cleaner and more efficient with it. That's the bov you can see there upside down. That's the oem pipe that came offof the Eclipse. It sounds pretty sweet.

The side mount intercooler. It fit in there pretty well. My bumper is alittle askew becasue I had just mocked it up to see if it was gonna fit.

Here is the underside with the oil return. The oil line kit was the most expensive part. It's a Stealth Kit. ~ 90 bucks. Pretty dirty under there. I think my rear main may be going out. That's teh next project. Might as well change the clutch while I am in there.

These are the couplings that I used to avoid having to buy a mandrel bend kit. They are plumbing elbows. Home Depot about 4 bucks each. I think I used 3 of them.

And my boost gauge. It's from a Skyline. It's dope. ~ 40 bucks from ebay.

All told I spent maybe 300 bucks on the whole shot, but evenif I had to buy the stuff I got off the junker I probably could have done it for $600. Just looking around, some average prices for the parts I had already...

- 14b turbo ~ 100
- 450cc injectors ~ 60
- Side mount ~ 40
And the stuff I bought...
- Chipped ECU and blind tuned chip ~100 + 25 = 125
-HF Manifold ~ 35
- Adapter flange ~ 60
- Oil lines ~ 90
- Boost gauge ~ 40
- Resistor box (for the injectors) ~ 25
- Ghetto elbow couplings ~ 20
- Miscellany nuts and bolts, oil, gasketsand crap ~ 50

Well, that's 640 and I didn't count the money it would have cost me to get the exhaust welded becasue my buddy did it, but you could also save a bit by going with a FMU and a "missing link". But as you can see I am still well under my budget of $1,000. No numbers yet, but I can tell you it seemsfaster than the SC. I sure am having fun with it. If they are running at the track this weekend, we will see. we shall surely see...

Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: The Super D lives!!!

holy damn thats ghetto. but perfect in the spirit of the original goal. Im loving it. cant wait to see the numbers. hahahaha. and the eventual upgrades.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

jeezis. american ingenuity at its finest. lol.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
mxs
HCF Member

welcome back dude, I have missed you and your car. rock on.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 AM

Believe it or not, I've seen worse. In a weird way, it's cleanly done.

If you don't have lug nuts holding your adapter plate on your hf mani, you ain't ghetto. Not joking. lol.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome back Sniper. I would expect nothing less than that setup from you Nicely done on such a low budget.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

Well, it sure i getto but i like it Welcome back man

Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Damn thats cheap only 600 bucks. Looks good though

Old 12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

Thats sweet. A 600 turbo setup lol. Its totally ghetto but i love it.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM

its only ghetto in my book if its blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe. but those rubber charge pipes gotta go soon man.

Quick Reply: The Super D lives!!!