Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

starting to piece turbo project together, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: starting to piece turbo project together, need help

if your shooting for 100whp more you wont need to be cammed, or a cam gear, stock radiator will probably be fine, and you wont need a fuel regulator.

if your changing the timing belt you might as well get a new water pump,

you will need an intercooler (unless thats included in your piping?), and an oil pressure gauge (to be safe).

get 440cc precisioninjectors ($240-250),or 450 dsm's with a resistor box (hella cheaper).

thats all i can think of off the top of my head...

Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

i have a question about piecing together your own turbo kit
how exactly does it cost so much less than a kit?
do you just wait for used parts to pop up or what?
sorry didn't mean to jack your thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Snail'n Admin

Well part of it is that most of the stuff you need is there together, where as when you pice it, you have to get stuff to fit and match...which really isnt hard. So i guess its a convenience thing. Also a lot of time you pay for the name.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

its just like building your own computer, hella cheaper than if you were to say buy it from best buy because you have to pay like Dell for their parts and for them to make it and put it together, then you have to pay for even more for the company to sell it so they can make money. So if you just were to buy the parts from dell you would avoid the extra cost it costs for them to make the comp and the extra cost the retail store sells it for, its all a convience game and name game, gonna cost you more if you buy all of the same highend parts even if you dont need them for your application.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

ok but if you cut corners and be cheap won't that make it less reliable? do you really save half as much money?
reason i'm asking is because i've been looking at the turbonetics kit and its about $1800 doesn't come with EVERYTHING but it comes close, but you're saying if i shop around for individual parts the total cost will be a lot less, whenever i looked at individual parts and added it up it was pretty much the same as a kit
but i'm gonna look around again because i would love to save that kinda money

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

people have pieced together turbo kits for under 2k, soxvietday did his for right around that and it was an insanely beautiful stock motor kit. its about cutting corners where its safe to cut corners, ie: intercooler piping, dsm injectors, used manifolds / downpipes / dumps, etc...

you have to dig around DEEP into the internet, used is your friend when it comes to saving money

Old 04-06-2008, 02:16 AM
HCF Member

just because someone pieces together their own kit to save money doesnt make them cheap and lesser quality. like seriously what I'm doing is I found a turbo kit that I like, then I looked for all the individual parts and got near exactly the same thing (i changed a few parts to I think better parts) for about $1,400 less than the kit... everything is brand new as well

Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 AM
HCF Member

I'm going to get a fuel pressure regulator cuz they arent expensive and it will help the tuner out with a gauge, and also to be safe I'm getting a Mishimoto radiator, fan, and hose kit for like $300

anyways, I have run into a few questions...

1) should I get a walbro 255 inline or in tank fuel pump?
2) I'm getting a Blox MAP bypass valve, do I need a MAP bypass assembly? (This one kit i was looking at said it came with the MAP sensor assembly and then you can buy the Blox MAP bypass valve) hope this is clear
3) with the hondata s300, I was looking at some on ebay and the prices range from like 550-800 and some of the descriptions are different so idk what i need exactly.. If anyone knows exactly what I need could you post a link? thanks much.

I'll be starting a project thread on monday after I start purchasing parts. So far I have a list of 25 things for a grand total of about $3900. However, some of the stuff I didnt really look on ebay for yet so I'll check that out before I purchase. but I think I have all the bases covered except my 3 questions, I'll post a list of EVERYTHING (its somewhat different than what I posted on the first page)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

1.) In tank 255lbh Walbro
2.) You don't need a missing link if you are running hondata.
3.) Awesome link to everything you want/need to know

Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Snail'n Admin

im stiill laughin at this...and the hondata units have add ons. get the in tank one. sigh...i have a bad feeling about this

Quick Reply: starting to piece turbo project together, need help