Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Rear turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rear turbo setup?

I think people are forgetting the most important thing when considering the thermodynamics of turbocharching. PV=nRT. A tried and true formula. Heat does not spool a turbo. With a cooler gas charge there is less velocity but the air is more dense. The same number of air molecules are flowing across the turbine every second. Trick is to appropriately size the turbo for the volume of air passing through it.

And Sov, your wrong about why rear mount turbo setups exist. Just look at the website for STS. They clearly write the advantages of their setup: cooler oil, lower turbo temps, built in intercooling, better flow, denser exhaust gasses, etc.

Its narrow minded thinking that prevents change. So go ahead, laugh atpeople for thinking that the earth is round.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:06 AM
HCF Member

Your an idiot. The main point of turbocharger design is to use wasted HEAT energy through the exaust to power a compressor via a turbine. By using a rear mounted turbo setup all the heat energy you are supposed to be using to power the turbine is lost over the length of piping used. So go ahead and believe what some company tells you because they want retards like yourself to buy their crap without actually researching the sience behind it.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Cat Fuсker

Um, sorry, but heat does not spin turbines... go try and heat up a fan and see if it spins...it's the motion of the air that does. Open up a physics book before calling someone an idiot.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

Way to understand a post dude. Did you honestly think I was trying to say you could simply heat up a turbo and it would spool? Are you in 3rd grade? Obviously Im implying the fact that flow is a large factor, you have to be retarded not to know that. Its the combination of high velocity flow and heat energy that causes a turbo to spool. It is a scientific fact that you will lose spool with exhaust that has lost most of its heat, period. Take my posts in context next time before making yourself look stupid.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: arust45

I think people are forgetting the most important thing when considering the thermodynamics of turbocharching. PV=nRT. A tried and true formula. Heat does not spool a turbo. With a cooler gas charge there is less velocity but the air is more dense. The same number of air molecules are flowing across the turbine every second. Trick is to appropriately size the turbo for the volume of air passing through it.

And Sov, your wrong about why rear mount turbo setups exist. Just look at the website for STS. They clearly write the advantages of their setup: cooler oil, lower turbo temps, built in intercooling, better flow, denser exhaust gasses, etc.

Its narrow minded thinking that prevents change. So go ahead, laugh atpeople for thinking that the earth is round.
Narrow minded thinking that prevents change?!

I've watched someone put one of these setups on a Civic, and with 17psi make 30whp less than I did with 7. He also had a much smaller turbo than I did, that spooled 500rpms LATER than mine.

Exhaust gas velocity plays a huge roll in spooling a turbine. Colder denser air doesn't do much of anything good. In fact, all of the proffessional drag racers use hot side turbo blankets to keep heat out of the engine bay and heat in the turbine to help spool their massive turbo's. Having the turbo that far back cools the exhaust so much that it loses all of it's velocity and can't spool the turbo worth a damn. Which is why the kid with the Civic was spooling his small T3 at 6000... that's pathetic.

Cooler oil is nice, but most Honda's don't have that problem. That, and oil coolers are cheap and much much more effective.

Built in intercooling is kind of amusing. 20 feet of intercooler piping is rediculous. Less is better, always.

Better flow is also rediculous. What's flowing better? The turbo flows the same amount of air no matter where it is.

Denser exhaust gases?! WTF? In the turbo world, you want to use the exhaust gas as fast as you can then get rid of it as fast as you can. The longer it's in the system the more of a restriction it ends up being. Heck, TOP MOUNTS are notorious for spooling slower because the exhaust loses velocity, whereas the ramhorn and mini ram design are known for spooling the fastest. I know you might be about to say "well all the fast guys use topmounts!" Well yeah, because that's really the only way to fit a huge turbo in a Honda engine bay. Take a look at the hotrod cars, they use short tubular manifolds.

You can throw physics theories and whatever else not at me all you want, but the simple fact is if you can fit the turbo in the engine bay put it there. If you don't believe me about the WS6/Camaro, LS1tech will tell you all you need to know about them.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: red2000Si

Way to understand a post dude. Did you honestly think I was trying to say you could simply heat up a turbo and it would spool? Are you in 3rd grade? Obviously Im implying the fact that flow is a large factor, you have to be retarded not to know that. Its the combination of high velocity flow and heat energy that causes a turbo to spool. It is a scientific fact that you will lose spool with exhaust that has lost most of its heat, period. Take my posts in context next time before making yourself look stupid.

Get your head out of your a$$, the so called "scientific fact" is a combination of velocity and volume, heat is only a factor in the two. I could blow compressed air at 30*F at high velocity and it'll yield the same result as hot exhaust. The point I'm making is that you can compensate with lower diameter piping that will promote higher velocity.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

WTF? Why would you blow 30* air at a higher velocity when what you actually have to work with is hot exhaust??? Do you know how rediculous that sounds? Why would you go to all the trouble of using small diameter piping to compensate for something that doesnt need to be compensated for? Like sov said, if you can put it in the engine bay put it there. Your argument that a rear mount setup can be just as efficient if not better than a standard setup is bogus. Its a cool idea if someone wants to do something different but dont sit here and argue that it can be just as/more efficient than mounting a turbo in the engine bay, thats just spreading false information to the noobs that dont know any better.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 473
Size:  2.9 KB

Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 PM
HCF Member

Well I took a trip to ls1tech as well as other camaro/firebird/corvette forums to find pretty much what I expected; differing opinions. Many support prochargers, and the like, but it seems an equal amount of people who have had several different setups vouch for the sts. Just because some kid threw a rear mount turbo in a civic, without the properR&D,and didn't spool till 6000 doesn't prove anything. I've read several accounts of people running the sts with little to no boost lag. Hell, on the link posted by the OP, both the LT1 and LS1 had significant power gains from around 3k rpms with the sts system compared to stock.

And red2000si, grow up. How can you evaluate somebodies opinion when the whole time you are reading, there's a voice in your head saying, "idiot, idiot, idot?" Try having a conversation like an adult rather than bashing on people's opinions.

How long have rear mount turbos been in use compared to conventionally mounted types? Of course a lot more kinks have been worked out of the conventional types. Not to mention, traditionalists generally do not even consider rear mounting an option, which further inhibits r&d.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

I only call people idiots who deserve to be called idiots. I can't stand when people who don't know as much as they think they know, start coming on to forums and spreading useless information about "dense exhaust" so other people stort thinking the same useless information. All of your claims about this whole thing are based upon some crap that STS claims on their website. Well I hope you blow a couple grand on your fancy STS kit so you can go slow. I will still smoke you for a few $1k less which will be the true answer of who has the more efficient setup. And for the last time, Im not saying that it should never be done Im only saying it ISN'T AS EFFICIENT.

Quick Reply: Rear turbo setup?