Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Rear turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Default Rear turbo setup?

Id like to start a debate here about possibly mounting a rear turbo instead of underhood mount. No intercooler needed as the boost pipe will cool the air. Turbo runs a lot cooler as it is far from the exhaust heat. And you can use your stock manifold and o2 location.The only downside i could see would be possibly needing a small oil pump to help return the oil bac to the oilpan. Anyone want to add?It seems all good to me. Time to think outside the box.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rear turbo setup?

i think its a dumb idea, your going to have to fab so much for stuff, as well as there would be soooo much boost lag, like camaros and WS6's which have rear mount.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 AM

Ok anyone want to think outside the box ?It would be a much easier installation then under hood. Wait till u break a couple of exhaust studs trying to take the stock manifold off.And need less parts for the installation. Also the turbo should last a lot longer as it runs in so much less heat.http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...rbo/index.html

Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Strong Island

i think its a dumb idea, your going to have to fab so much for stuff, as well as there would be soooo much boost lag, like camaros and WS6's which have rear mount.
cars like camaros have a lot more torque so it wouldn't take as much time to spool the turbo even in the rear. Would the intercooler still be in the front? Thats the most efficient method, a side mount works but not nearly as good. For a honda it just complicates things even further...

Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
HCF Member

Stupid idea. You want somebody to "think outside the box" but you really just want somebody to midlessly agree with you. Look into the thermodynamics of turbocharging and you'll realize its an inefficient idea. Exhaust heat plays a very large role in spooling a turbo as well as exhaust flow. You lose all the heat in your exaust as well as a lot of the pressure you would have in a shorter running turbo manifold. Hondas sit low to the ground even in stock form subjecting your turbo to likely getting damaged. I also wouldnt want to have my oil lines that close to the ground either. There may be an advantage or two but the disadvantages largely outway the advantages and overall its a bad idea.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 PM

It's been done, proven, and shot down multiple times.

The simple fact is, the best place for a turbo is in the engine bay. It's close to the exhaust ports on the head which will keep exhaust temps up and thusly spool times down. Yeah, that's right, heat is GOOD for a turbo.

So why do rear mount turbo's exist. Simple, there's **** for room in the Camaro/WS6 engine bay. Certainly not enough room without some serious rearranging for a turbo.

Breaking manifold studs? WTF? If you're breaking manifold studs... maybe you shouldn't be turning a wrench? I've never broken one, ever. Needing less parts for installation? Right, 20 feet of piping, 10 feet of oil return line with an oil pump, and turbo bracketing/bracing is a whole lot less than 6 feet of piping and 6" of 10AN drain. Sometimes thinking out of the box isn't always a good thing.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 AM

I built this 160 rwhp 390 lb wet ,monster ...maybe i shouldnt be touching wrenchs anymore...

[IMG]local://upfiles/31957/35142A8B3DC341598B7EB5791111E253.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31957/3E7C46B48B9A4614B5B9CEB274E8ECD4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Cat Fuсker

With small diameter piping and a turbo like a K03 or a GT17 it can work. You will want to either coat or wrap the exhaust up until the turbo to prevent heat loss...

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: sparkys38

I built this 160 rwhp 390 lb wet ,monster ...maybe i shouldnt be touching wrenchs anymore...
That's wonderful, but it doesn't make rear mount turbo setups any good.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

why do you want to do a rear mount? just because of the lesser stress on the turbo? or are you going for a sleeper approach? If its just to try and increase turbo life, i dont think its worth it to go through all that trouble. why not save the money from all the extra piping and other parts, and get a high quality name brand turbo that will last long regardless of its position (front or rear)

Quick Reply: Rear turbo setup?