Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Not enough$ for turbo so...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Default Not enough$ for turbo so...

gonna take the nitrous route until i can save up for one...

i browsed a couple performance shops in my area and i found one guy i really liked... he's willing to instal a zex nitrous system for 700.... and its pretty cool, cuz it has a switch i can turn on when i wanna use it and when the switch is engaged it will only spray nitrous when the pedal is to the floor... uses some type of volt thing, i thought that was pretty cool...

i already know using it responsibly wont screw up myu engine too much but allow me to have a little fun, i take my car to the dragstrip every thursday and race some of my friends so i figured they would never see this coming if i just showed up with it one week..,..

anyway, so here's my question, the guy said he could sell me the different sized nipples for the different shots and said ther pretty easy to change out... so i was thinking maybe on the streets if someone wants to do a little quik stoplight to stoplight i could use a 25 shot.... but i was wondering if im on the track if i could use a 75 shot, the guy says my engine should be ok as long as i let my engine cool off for a while after... i was wondering if i should listen to him

already did a compression and leak test, everythings good.... running a stock d16y7 with about 50k miles.... think the 75 shot would be too much for a couple runs on the strip, keep in mind its only 1/8th mile too

thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Not enough$ for turbo so...

That sounds fine, really it does as I have seen people juice D's with 100 shots and they survive just fine but a big suggestion is take that $700 and buy a aftermarket intake manifold, a 96-00 ex 5 speed transmission, and sturdy clutch, have your stock flywheel shaved to 13lbs. Do all that and then throw juice on it, your intake manifold is a bottle neck and it is killing airflow into the engine and by killing I mean the stock Y7 intake manifolds only flow enough to support like 150 to 160whp and the ex transmission will shorten your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears to dramaticly help acceleration. With the intake/transmission mods you will see a good 3/4 to a full second drop in your 1/4 mile times then a 75 shot on top of that could pull it down another second or so. Your looking at running high 14's to low 15's with the mods I listed plus the n2o or high 15's to low 16's with just the juice. Also another cheap mod you can do is slap some older 13 inch honda steel wheels with decent tires on them or even better a set of 92-95 13 inch vx rims(10.4lbs per rim) or 96-00 14 inch hx rims(11.5lbs per rim). It really helps to eliminate as much as your rotating mass as you can and this rings really true with rims as they are unsprung mass.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

I'm going the same route as you but I'm getting a few safety things before I start spraying. I think you should get a rpm window switch at the very least. If not just make sure you don't spray before 3,000 rpm and don't hit your rev limiter. Retard your timing 2 degrees and get two step colder spark plugs.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 PM

marty thanks u just answered my next question.... i have an extra 700 still lying around which i was just gonna start saving up with but since u suggested all those things i may as well go ahead and start at that... only thing is i cant really do any of the work here myself due to my lack of knowledge (hehe, too lazy to read manuels and do it myself) and becuase the condo complex i live in doesnt allow me to work on the car within the area. Now including the labor do u think i could still get al that for 700?? or if u would compromise 1 of them which would it be.... thanks oo and i got some 14 inch steels on ther right now, i like the look for some reason and ya, i used to have rims but they got stolen and im kinda glad cuz like u said it lightens it, and i did feel the difference

as for mobsta, i already got a tach installed outside of the window like above my steering wheel to the left, only because when i got the car i couldnt figure when to shift when i had the radio loud, and as for the colder spark plugs, im just gonna wait till these go out and than ill go for the uridium ones. oo and mine is gonna be on the push of the pedal, when it hits the floor and i have my switch activated its gonna spray...

Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 AM

found a couple parts.... these good??

transmission but it has 90k miles... kinda worries me
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...spagenameZWDVW

intake manifold
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-A...spagenameZWDVW

would they fit on rather easily or is it going to take some modification??

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

I would get that transmission but stay away from cheap intake manifolds, try to find a edlebrock over anything and then a skunk2 if you cant find that. Out of what I listed I would honestly get a intake before the trans though because like I said it is a very limiting factor on airflow and after all that is all a engine is....a big air pump.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 AM

ah ok... and the shaving of the flywheel, would it be better to just buy a lighter one? or where can i get this done?

and i found this edlebrock intake manifold bujt im not sure if it will fit... would it fit my d16y7??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDELB...spagenameZWDVW

Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

that manifold will fit, if you have the money for a flywheel get one but dont go under 12lbs

Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 AM

i read somewhere wer it said i would have to shave the gaskets or something to fit it onto the y7...? is that true, and if it is that sucks cuz thats just more money i have o pay in labor, might go with the skunk2...

and as for the flywheel, where can i take it to get it shaved?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

take the flywheel to a machine shop and that is not true about the manifold, all d series 88-00 use the same flanges on both the exhaust and intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Not enough$ for turbo so...