Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

More Power!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member
Default More Power!!

OK -- 95Civic EX VTEC SOHC sedan. D16Z6 engine

Has:
K&N Cold air
Throttle body spacer
Platinum dual point spk plugs
4-2-1 header
2" Custom exahust
Pro Gold Heavy duty Clutch w/lightned mass
Newly rebuilt transmission Yea!!!! not really excited about that one
10.2 mm spark plug wires
Stock at 125hp (factory new) now approx 157 totally lowballing my numbers so as not to be a jackass... I gots a billion hp from that 20$ chip on ebay!!!! or not - took it off cause the car kept overheating

Car seems to go better - I still need a Intake Mani too. I really want about as much power out of this car without changing the lower end. I would do a head if I knew what to change to or do...
So my question is:
How much power can this motor/stock lower end,safely handle? 200hp?? 250??
And what is a good next mod - will a turbo put me up too high to be safe now or is NOS a better/cheaper alternative to boost?
Just a noobie lookin for help?
this site kicks azz for noobs!

Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: More Power!!

You've actually got one of, if not thee best motor setups to boost IMO. The z6 is a great motor if you want to run like 8psi, and put down around 180-190whp (depending on tune). Plus, you've already got the p28 ecu and are running obd1. Pull the ecu and have it chipped and set up with a basemap until you can get to a real tuner (NO HARD PULLS before you see a real tuner!!).

The main thing that is going to keep your motor reliable is the tune, can't stress that enough. Source some quality parts for the boost setup, tune it right, and you'll be just fine.

Also, loose those platinum spark plugs if you go boost. Run some OEM replacement NGK's, but be sure to get the one step colder model. Gap them accordingly.

Nitrous is a great initial "bang for the buck" option, however, with all the money you'll put into refilling the bottle, within a year, you probably will have been able to cover a full home made turbo setup.

By the way, theres no way you're putting down 157hp with just those mods, just a heads up

Old 02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

That car makes something more like 100whp, so you're probably making about 110whp at the most with those mods.

If you go turbo, you're going to lose the intake, header, and the exhaust too. Tis not big enough to move the amount of air that you need to.

Z6 block could way easily hold 250whp with the right tuning and right turbo setup.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

yea i would say your gonna need to go with a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust

Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM
formerly aryiman98civic

you have come to the right place, thank you for asking some questions before going out and doing something stupid. now like forty04 said you have a good motor to go ahead and boost. i would recommend getting a bigger exhaust, it will be better. if you want to learn more about turbos and how they work let me give you a few links:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

that will tell you what each part of the turbo does

Pete ( a mod on the boards) made a grocery list to help people make their own homemade kit so here is the link to his list:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_196090/tm.htm

i hope you research and come back with more questions so we can help you.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
HCF Member

I guess the hp gains from the bolt-on's is kinda wishfull thinking. (the numbers I would have hoped for)
Are the 250hp numbers without changing the lower end internals or with some build up?
Also I really want to know about turbo mani's because the "grocery list" type mani's I've seen say they bolt up to the T3/T4's. Is there just a bracket/adapter that bolts on for the T25/T28's?? And what is the 14b? I think I read about it in another persons forum question here.
I have been looking at lots of stuff and really was happy to read the "why not to buy SS Autochrome" post because I knew those kit prices couldn't be real!!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

OH yea, I sort of knew I wouldn't be able to keep my header but I wanted to see how it worked out and have been happy with the results.
Should I be looking at a bigger intake mani before and or with the whole turbo project? I probably know the answer all ready but I am the noob.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

If you go turbo, you're going to lose the intake, header, and the exhaust too. Tis not big enough to move the amount of air that you need to.
i understand the intake and header, but why do you lose hte exhaust? i know you need a custom downpipe and you'll prolly want something bigger than 2", but what do you mean Sov?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

i understand the intake and header, but why do you lose hte exhaust? i know you need a custom downpipe and you'll prolly want something bigger than 2",
Just answered your own question. He'll need to replace the exhaust with something larger, so he has to lose the one he has now.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

He means that he needs to throw out his custom 2 inch exhaust because he wont want to use it. He needs 2.5 or 3 inch. So to have a 2.5 or 3 in., he needs to get rid of the 2 inch. I really dont know how to explain what he said any better lol.

Quick Reply: More Power!!