Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Looks like Im building the b16

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Looks like Im building the b16

get like a gt30r. cant really go wrong with one of those

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

lol oh yeah if I had an extra $1,000 laying around I would be all over one of those!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 AM

ORIGINAL: red2000Si

Ive read that the18g is good for 400+whp and like 23+ psi or something so I think I should be good there, but I will do some more research to make sure Im right about that. Its a bigger turbo than most people think.
Pump gas on a Honda it's good till about 320ish, it's a little bit smaller than mine.

However, to go above ~17-18psi on a B16 you'll need to run race gas in order to be safe, at that point you can push a LOT more power out of the stock block due to the race gas properties. One guy just pushed 515whp out of a stock Type R block the other day on H-T [:-]

Hell, I ran into a guy at the track who was pushing 365whp with a completely stock B16 aside from ARP hardware, and was planning to go back for a race gas tune to push something stupidly high. [8D]

You can by all means build the engine, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm just saying that I think you'll be more than ok, and that I don't know what the greddy IC is rated at (turbo is one thing, but your whole setup has to make that power not just one part )

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

Yeah thats a very good point I did start thinking about that last night. I actually dont have a greddy kit just the turbo mani and downpipe to keep a/c. My IC is a spearco with acore of 27x6x3 which will probably flow 350whp. I know my 440cc injectors will have to be upgraded and I'll probably look into an aluminum radiator as well, other than that its just the cost of getting re-tuned.

After reading around on H-T a little Ive read a few places that the 18g flows 600cfm's and will be good to over 350whp on pump gas. I would be veryhappy in the 320whp range since I do plan to drive this car alot andbuilding the motor would be more for reliability reasons than for power. However, I did play with the thought of selling the greddy setup (since they go for so much $$) and buying a t3/t04e 60 trim, a cheap log manifoldtial wastegate and making my own downpipe for pretty close to what I could get for my greddy setup and I could handle as much power as I wanted with that turbo.

On the other hand I may take your advice of throwing in some arp headstuds, a new headgasket and getting back on the road, if I open it up and theres absolutly nothing wrong but the headgasket. Hopefully thats the case but I want to be ready for what I plan to do if I diddamage a ring or a piston or something.I just thought about how time consumingof a job a headgasket is and thought it would be really nice to go aheadand build while Im in there but we will see. Imtaking it to my buddies house on sunday to check it out so I will know exactly whats going to happen then.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Due to the high compression of the B16, I personally would be careful how much timing you run on the engine with higher PSI, you may be able to push just under 350 but it's just pump gas, you can always make more power on race gas. That's where I'm getting the numbers, if you put the 60trim on there you could EASILY do 375 or more on pump.

Pull the engine apart, make sure everything checks out correctly. If it does, just put some ARP hardware and a new headgasket and go! If you want to go for more than 450whp or so, I'd definitely look into building the block. That however is a LOT of power and building an engine is tough to do and takes a long long time. Hell, took me 4 months, you're going to need to pull the engine out, etc etc etc. I wish it was just as easy as pulling off the head and dropping in some new hardware, ohhhh how I wish. [8D]

Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 PM
HCF Member

get that thing back on the road floridas just not the same without it haha

Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

i say you need to frankenstein it with a b20z or b20a bottom end.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Yeah Im definitely hoping that its just the headgasket and I can get it back on the road in the next week. I really want to getthe block built but Im starting school in 2 months and playing college golf soI definitely wont have time to do any work on my carfor the 9 months Im in school, thats the main reason I wanted to get it built before school started. That and I dontknow if Im going to have the money to properly finish the project before school starts. If I end up having to build it due to having pistondamage or something I will definitely need yalls help. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

if there's any internal damage, i still say use a b20 short block

Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Dont B20 blocks suck for reving over like 7k? If Im building a block for a bigger turboI want to be able to rev to 8k+.

Quick Reply: Looks like Im building the b16