Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Help.. any1 with a B16 & GT28R setup.. please read

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Default Help.. any1 with a B16 & GT28R setup.. please read

Hey guys,

I need help... I want a turbo which is Ball Bearing on my b16a. But, I would like to start boost at 3500 rpm and get boost all the way to redline.

Can any one suggest me a good size.. A size which will help me even in future. I mean, i dont want a small turbo and then if i plan to do something more like get more boost, I wil have to switch to a bigger turbo. I dont want to waste money.

So is a GT28R a good size. Any one with a GT28R turbo can you pleaseeee help me on the Piping also. The intercooler pipe size i plan to use is 2.5" and the exhaust manifold is 2". Will the GT28 spool quickly?

Please some1 with a b16 GT28R setup ... Waiting for a reply. Thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help.. any1 with a B16 & GT28R setup.. please read

You have a whole lot more research you need to do before you even think about what size turbo your going to use. I get the feeling you dont have a very complete grasp of what a turbo setup consists of and exactly how everything works. If you have questions dont be afraid to use the search button. Most everything you need to know has already been asked and answered before. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 PM

thanks, but I was looking for a crisp reply.. I need someone who already has a GT28r turbo on a b16 and to share his experience as to how the turbo is working... Thats the kinda of answer I am looking for... I would like to know at what RPM does the boost start.. what PSI is he running.. what isthe C/R..

what is the pipe sizes... I will look and search in the topics.. but someone who can help me with the answers I am looking for then please reply.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

Well man alot plays into spool time other than size. The GT28 is a good turbo but IMO a GT3071R would be a slightly better option. it would spool in the mid to upper 3000rpm range and give you room to grow. Try to run a 3 inch down pipe and exhaust and spool time will be helped a bit along with slightly higher compression(9 to 9.5/1) and like 2.25 to 2.5 inch charge piping. These are only a couple things that will improve spool time and throttle response.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Hi Marty,

Thanks, you are running a GT3071 Ball Bearing.. right?... On which engine? B16a? At what Rpm does your turbo start spooling? What is the A/r of your turbo?

Also, I have made my exhaust down pipe all the way to the Muffler 3" of piping. Now can you suggest me what should be the Turbo Manifold pipe size?

My turbo is a Gt28 ball bearing.. i cant exactly remember the a/r but i think its 0.63 or 0.86

Old 02-24-2007, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

I dont have a boosted car anymore but have had 2 boosted Honda's and built/boosted a few others. I have a buddy running the GT30 I suggested allthough on a 2.4 but he can spool it at like 2500rpm in 5th gear. The GT28 will do fine though and are you planning on making your own manifold because it is a very complex thing to do as for one the runner length needs to be as close to equal as you can get it plus you about need a robotic teg welder to put good enough welds on it. I suggest a good cast manifold, if you absolutly feel the need to have a tubular manifold run a good one(cost around $700 to $1200) like a full-race unit or something. BMC Race also has goos SS manifolds.

May I ask what are your goals for the setup?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:38 PM

No I have no intentions of making my own manifold. I have ordered the manifold and its stuck in the customs. So i am waiting for it to get installed. Its a direct bolt on. Well I plan to run 8-9 psi on daily run and 10-11 psi when racing.. I want to target 280-300 hp ..I have made my internals strong by - Darton sleeves, Eagle LW Crank, Eagle Rods, JE Pistons, Clevite Bearings, Titanium Retaines, Valve Springs, ARP bolts, Kelford Camshafts, Total seal piston rings, Clutch Master stage 3 clutch, Fidanza Flywheel...

If your friend is running a Gt30, then thats definately a bigger turbo than mine. I wanted to know does the size of the a/r make difference... by any chance you would be knowing the a/r size on your friends GT30....

Coz i know mine is either a 0.83 or 0.63... Is this concept true, the smaller the a/r the faster the spool?

Also the intercooler piping.. the Smaller the size the faster the spool or the bigger the size the faster the spool..... I know for sure my down exhaust pipe is 3" coz I have already installed my exhuast and muffler..

Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Okay, heres the stuff.... GT 2840, A/r 0.64 .. Now we have the same turbo on a Nissan Silvia 2.0 ltr.. and the boost starts at 2500 rpm.. with 3 inch piping all the way.. Intercooler and also Down Exhaust...

Now if the Silvia starts spool at 2500 rpm.. what will my 1600 cc car start spooling at... i m like soooooo confused... anyone having Gt30 setup with A/r 0.64?? on the B16.. can you tell me wat Rpm is your turbo spooling..

Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Also what size inejctors should I use.. if my goal is 280-300 hp ... Rc injectors.. but how many cc's and if i should buy saturated or hold/peak series... please help..

Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM

You're way overkilling this whole thing. The B16 will be able to hold 300whp by itself completely stock with a good tune, the engine your building is good for much much more.

The Gt28R is a smaller turbo, it'll spool around 3K on that engine and probably start to fall off around 7K or so. That and you're going to need to run more psi than 11 to make 300whp on that turbo. You're actually going to have to almost max it out, like I said it's not very big.

I, like Marty, would have suggested the GT30, it would spool around 3500ish in most gears and would carry the power all the way to redline.

No one on this website has a B16 with a GT28, but it's going to spool really early and fall off a bit up top.

Quick Reply: Help.. any1 with a B16 & GT28R setup.. please read