Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

External Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Default External Wastegate

There are two pressure outs, one on top, one on the bottom, which goes to where, and what does a bigger/smaller spring do to boost levels? Also a manual boost control has two openings, where do each of them need to attach? Thanks in advance guys.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: External Wastegate

i know on my 38mm tial that the top fitting is for a boost controller and the one on the side is for the pressure line. Bigger spring is stiffer so it should close longer for more boost and the smaller one is weaker so will open at smaller boost levels. You shouldnt need a manuel boost controller on a set spring external wastegate but i could be wrong, i dont have much experience with boost controllers.

hope this helps

Old 03-30-2006, 10:36 AM

correct the one on the side is for the vaccum boost line and the one on the top is for boost controler. The manual boost controler should be able to be installed any way you want as there is a valve inside that bleeds pressure away. Basically what your doing when you hook this up is allowing some positive pressure into the top of the wastegate therfore equalizing the pressure and keeping the wastegate closed. In effect your making the wastegate spring stiffer and keeping the gate closed longer therefore giving you more boost. Remember you cant go down in boost levels only up so if your going to use a boost controler try putting in the lower psi spring and use the boost controler to regulate your boost level. Keep a close eye on it though we dont want our head popping off now do we.

Berz out.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:26 AM

Okay you say vac boost line but what does that run to? booste gauge? And about the boost controller there are two openings on it, which one runs to the top of the WG and which one runs elsewhere and where does it run?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Any vaccuum line under the hood. I usually T into the line that goes from the Intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Put a T adapter in the middle of that line then run the line to the bottom nozzle on the wastgate. You can then T off that line if you wish and run a line off that to your boost controler. Then from your boost controler you run that to the top nozzle of the wastegate. It shouldnt matter what direction the controler works. However check to see if there are arrows on the nozzles of the controler.

Berz out.