Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

d17 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: d17 turbo

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

I would like to see Belmont's defense of the D17. Yes, you can find examples of D17s being boosted to 300+whp, but how long did they last? Not as long as older Ds. Science is inescapable.
Did I say they will outlast the older D series? No. Did I say the engine was great? No. The engine itself is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. However, the aftermarket support is crap.

I could show you examples of daily driven 200+ WHP d17's all god damn day. How long did forty's D last boosted? What happened to petes d16?**** happens it doesnt matter what engine you have. Berzerker blew his "almighty" B16. Does that make the engine ****ty? No.

Scienceis inescapable? Lol, please show me the science behind that. It may be true but you madeit sound soo ghey.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM

Gay? What's that have to do with anything? Grow up.

As for the D17, the main, blaring problem that I see with it is its stroke. Its long stroke creates several problems: increased cylinder wear, increased piston speed which increases stress/wear throughout the bottom end (the wrist pin location is actually offset to cope with this, that's a bad sign), and poor top end power. In addition to that, if I recall, it has a returnless fuel system, which means fuel pressure cannot be increased, and older metal intake manifolds cannot be used to directly replace the plastic manifold that's in there now. It also has a distributorless ignition, so I don't know how you would adjust ignition timing without the use of AEMs full standalone unit ($1500) or equivalent, which is fine I guess since tuning fuel with piggybacks is crap anyway, andyou can't use older ECUs with the traditional Neptune, Hondata, Chrome, etc. I'm also not sure who makes an aftermarket cam or valvetrain assembly for it, which I guess is ok because you wouldn't want to rev it that high anyway.

Basically its expensive, its labor intensive, and when you're all done it still won't work as well as the older D series.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

As for the D17, the main, blaring problem that I see with it is its stroke. Its long stroke creates several problems: increased cylinder wear, increased piston speed which increases stress/wear throughout the bottom end (the wrist pin location is actually offset to cope with this, that's a bad sign), and poor top end power. In addition to that, if I recall, it has a returnless fuel system, which means fuel pressure cannot be increased, and older metal intake manifolds cannot be used to directly replace the plastic manifold that's in there now. It also has a distributorless ignition, so I don't know how you would adjust ignition timing without the use of AEMs full standalone unit ($1500) or equivalent, which is fine I guess since tuning fuel with piggybacks is crap anyway, andyou can't use older ECUs with the traditional Neptune, Hondata, Chrome, etc. I'm also not sure who makes an aftermarket cam or valvetrain assembly for it, which I guess is ok because you wouldn't want to rev it that high anyway.

Basically its expensive, its labor intensive, and when you're all done it still won't work as well as the older D series.
i'm sorry belmont, but i was going to say the same thing, i'm just too dam lazy to type all that

Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

First off, your right I shouldnt of said you sounded gay. Im sorry that offended you. Secondly, thats a good post.

If you really want to argue this I can bring someone in who is far more knowledgable than me when it comes to boost, and the d17. Any engine is going to have added stress and wear when equiped with a turbo. There are aftermarket intake manifolds for pretty cheap. The returnless fuel system can be convertedfairly easily. Andas far as the engine management system, AEM'sems is probably the best, however there are cheaper plug and plays.Finally, Yes there are aftermarket cams available. So what if itwont work better than the old D series? When did I say it would? You see, the problem is you cant swapan older D series into a 7thgen lol.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

Well when you break it down, you can boost a Z6 or a Y8 much easier than a D17. As far as mine blowing up......I expected it. I had an auto tranny, and the car was not tuned at all. I was running a greddy blue box, and I had no wideband.....so who knows what my A/F ratio was at. I didnt care, I knew it was going to blow eventually. I am not scared of boosting again either, my current GSR motor WILL see boost sometime.........maybe not soon, but eventually it will.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

thats the spirit

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete

Well when you break it down, you can boost a Z6 or a Y8 much easier than a D17.
And it will be a lot cheaper.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

I figure that after you buy all the crap for the turbo -along with the cost of the turbo- you could be close to the cost of the k20 block alone. Am I right on that? Figuring that some of those kits on procivic.com say as much as $3000 for it then all the stuff SovieXday says in his sticky.... either way you go, expect to be poor afterwards!

By the way, Belmont, what kind of upgrades do you have on your civic? Have any pictures of your engine bay or anything? I am always looking for little parts here and there! I have seen Chimera's and My04civic's cars but not yours... what do you got?! thanks!