Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

D16y8 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Default D16y8 Turbo Kit

Sorry for the new thread, just thought it was good for a new question. So I was wondering if Greddy turbo kits are good quality and if so, what turbo kit would fit the d16y8? And this next question might be dumb, but do the Greddy turbo kits still require a tunable ECU or do they come with everything to bolt on and go? Thanks in advance and if there’s anything I need to be yelled at for say it lol

Old 08-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Cat Fuсker

Weren't you going to swap? greddy discontinue their kits for this platform a while ago. You can find a used one, but that's a crapshoot.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
Weren't you going to swap? greddy discontinue their kits for this platform a while ago. You can find a used one, but that's a crapshoot.
Oh hey Stiffler! I’ve been looking into what it’s going to take for a swap and I don’t know if I’m ready for it; I figure if I’m gonna do it, I might as well do it right, and look into it more and start saving up. But I figure if I can put a good quality turbo d16y8 together and get it tuned properly and such I can have some fun with my car before I get ready to do the big bad swap in 2-3 years when I’m all saved up and prepared. I don’t want my car to be sitting in the garage for a year because I wasn’t ready for the swap, and I’m sure you can see where I’m coming from.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:12 AM
Cat Fuсker

You're walking into something that will cost you 2000-3000 after all odds and ends if you do it right as in new parts, engine rebuild, tune....

Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM

If you are not ready for a swap then you are not ready for an aftermarket turbo system; both are going to be a laundry list of parts. I'll ask the same question in your original thread. Why bother with a turbo if you plan on swapping out the motor in the future? FYI, no one is ready for a swap... or aftermarket turbo for that matter. You will run into problems that may/will/can take time to deal with. I just swapped in a new engine into my Miata and the car has been sitting for 2 months. It's not yet running.

Throughout the process of attaining my infinite wisdom , I've learned to not f%$k with my car that gets me to and from. That's what the "toy" is for. There have been many days/nights of me scrambling to get a car running as I needed to go to work the next day. Not fun. I'm not trying to scare you away from it, but don't think adding a turbo will be a weekend event unless you work basically straight through and have unlimited parts and tools to your disposal. Also, you will need to learn how to tune unless you plan on scheduling a tuning session with an aftermarket performance company... and towing the vehicle to their shop. With a swap, you could get away with a matching ecu for the motor and some wiring.

Your car probably makes maybe 95-100 whp (assuming everything is running correctly). How much power do you want? How much are you willing to spend? Adding a proper turbo system will cost at least 3k. You plan on yanking all of that out for a swap that will cost another 3k (at least) down the road? What happens if you turbo the D16y8 and reach 200whp, then swap to a motor that makes 170whp (H22)? Set your goals and then start researching how to get there.

Posting a pic of my car in its current state to curb my annoyance of answering the same question. Fingers crossed it starts up this Friday when I go to work on it again. Compression on the new motor is good so I might be in the clear.
Name:  W6kru42.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  503 Bytes

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-27-2019 at 03:40 PM.