Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Boosting an auto...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Boosting an auto...

Ok here it is, i've looked for weeks now and can't get straight answers anywhere, I'm boosting a 96 EX auto, want to keep it a daily driver. What i've been told is with an auto tranny i can't turbo it due to the TCU? but i kno they make jumpers for the ECU and distr. so i can change over to OBD1, but do i have to convert to OBD1 and why if so? Any help would be so much appreciated.....

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Boosting an auto...

i know its not advised to boost a automatic..... the tranny will fail! it was built for the stock power and nothing more.....

i would advice a tranny swap........ or if you want more power from a motor setup look into a DOHC motor with a automatic tranny with it....

thats just my opinion then....

Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
HCF Member

The auto trannies are very weak so its not good for a turbo daily driver not to mention I dont believe they can be chipped or have any real engine management and thus cannot be properly tuned. Change it over to a manual if you want a boosted daily driver.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

Auto can be chipped just need to special order it. Ive seen plenty of boosted autos run for a long time. Get a chipped auto ecu and a good auto tranny cooler and run low boost if you want a turbo/auto. Im not telling you its the best to do but if you want an auto its definetly possible. You wont be as quick as a manual but whatev. And auto trannys can hold up to daily driving with a turbo just not stomped on all the time because that will cause the tranny to fail. So if you want an auto turbo you can get chipped obd1 ecu's and get a tranny cooler.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Super Cereal Admin

We have/had a member who boosted their auto civic... it ran just fine until the transmission went out (which believe it or not had nothing to do with the turbo). And why wouldn't you be able to chip an auto? The ecu is more or less (note: I said more or less) the same as a 5-speed ecu.

What do you get when you boost an auto? A fast automatic... nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

We have/had a member who boosted their auto civic... it ran just fine until the transmission went out (which believe it or not had nothing to do with the turbo). And why wouldn't you be able to chip an auto? The ecu is more or less (note: I said more or less) the same as a 5-speed ecu.

What do you get when you boost an auto? A fast automatic... nothing more, nothing less.
Auto ECUs have to control the transmission as well, so no, they're not the same. If they are not chipped right they become manual ECUs... and well your transmission no longer will shift.

Auto's break on stock power. It is not an if, it is a when.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ I said more or less the same, not exactly the same. And if you take the ecu to a reputable tuner, you shouldn't have to worry about coming home with a manual ecu.

(and everything's going to eventually fail at stock power... so should we stop modifying our cars? After all, not everyone can afford internal work)

I say boost the auto, and if/when it fails, it sounds like a good excuse to swap to a 5-speed.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM

You forget I ran on a stock engine for over a year dude. Engine's are one thing, but Honda auto transmissions are trash. This isn't one of those "well of course it will break eveenttuallyy"

No I mean it will break quickly, the more power you make the faster it will go. Granted, 150whp isn't really enough to break them quickly, but most reasonable Dseries turbo setups now a days are cutting into the 200s. The auto transmission WILL NOT hold that kind of power, it just won't. Engine will, yes it will wear, but it will not just give up and break like the auto transmissions will.

Believe me, I wish Honda had a good auto trans out, but they just don't.