Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Basemap Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

how many degrees should the timing be retarded? the engines back in the car and its sitting in the shops parking lot, i'm going to pick it up tonight now that i have my oil/coolant lines for the turbo.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

1* to 3* per lb. of boost is what's normal.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

im not going to be driving in boost until its tuned though.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

Just an update for everyone, the basemap on the phearable tune was absolutely horrible. It was running so rich and for some reason I lost most of my vacuum it went from normally 20HG to 5HG. That is idling almost in boost and driving it I had absolutely no power at all, i only drove it about a mile before pulling it over. After this I thought I had vacuum leaks and I couldn't find it so I got it checked out at a local shop called Speed Tech. They were able to get rid of my CEL which was from the IACV. The car had some black smoke from the exhaust and the spark plugs showed that it was running extremely rich.

We plugged in my old ECU and the vacuum went back to normal and even though the idle is a little rough it is much better. I drove it behind there shop and it drove much better, I had a normal amount of power for driving in vacuum under 2500rpm. I am in the market for a wideband 02 sensor, they reccomended not driving the car until I get a better basemap so I'm going to get it towed to the tuner. I'm happy that its not puffing any smoke now.

They told me to get the basemap adjusted with a wideband 02 sensor to reach a safe airl/fuel ratio to break the engine in. They also suggested that the engine should see 500km before it is put on the dyno for full rpm runs and tuning. Does this sound about right?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

Well a basemap is gonna be rich as soon as you put the basemap on before you do any real driving you should tune columns 1-5 at the very least so you have a good af mixture. A wideband and datalogging is a must. if you are just going to take it to a tuner he will do that for you but it will take extra time. The engine break in time is not true. As soon as you have decent tune 1-5 columns drive it a bit and make sure that its running around 14.7 cause thats 50% and less throttle and as long as full throttle retards timing and adds extra fuel you should be good to go on the dyno. Your tuner should know what to do though so if you are just taking it to a tuner let him do it. What I said is if you are doing it yourself. Sucks about the basemap but they are no where near perfect they are just estimated guesses and definetely wont work well if any of your engine components arent working well. Did you rebuild your motor? I dont see why anyone would tell you to break in a non rebuilt motor anyway but even if it is rebuilt it will be fine if your are tuned correctly. You do not want to drive it if the tune is horrible thats how you melt pistons.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 AM
HCF Member

The block and head have been built and I swapped a 16g evo3 turbo.
thanks for the info