Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

b18c5 turbo hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Default b18c5 turbo hatch

I have a 96 civic dx hatch.. swapped a jdm b18c5 into it last week. I have been runnin it for the past 4 days, it rips pretty nice. I dont know what im running but i lost to a 05 mustang gt convertible by one car.

I recently sent it down to tranceworx, a local shop here that is known for quality installs and tuning. I am having a full T3 turbo kit installed, and im planning to run 8 psi on stock internals (11 compression). The people at tranceworx said 10 psi is possible with the right tune, im not sure what ill be running yet. Anyway.. i am hoping for low 13's with my driving and im sure there will be some traction issues. I did get the LSD when i installed the itr motor. Any advice on what i should safely run on this motor? I drive it to school and work daily. THey are installing a full 3" exhaust. What should i run on it? 8 psi or less? or will 10 psi be ok if the tune is good?

Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Default RE: b18c5 turbo hatch

considering the amount of money you spent, and the compression on the b18c5, i wouldnt even run 8 psi. on my b16a2, i have a t3 turbonetics kit on only 6 lbs and ive already managed to detonate one piston, due to running too lean. does your kit come with fuel management? new injectors, fuel pump, etc? if not, id HIGHLY recommend not going high in boost. you've spent so much money on that, dont risk screwin it up bigtime. if you wanna run those boost levels, look for low compression pistons and new rods. just my .02

Old 11-23-2006, 06:17 PM

That ITR trans is going to wreak hell on your tires, just so you know.

Make sure to get injectors and a chipped ECU for your car. PSI is not the same on every turbo, with a T3 you could easily run 10-12 and make around ~250whp. That will be good for low 13s high 12s with traction and a low 60'. Hell, some guy on turbod16.com just trapped 111mph with 250whp in an EK coupe, that's good for low 12s!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: matts96hb

jdm b18c5
it's either JDM B18C, or USDM B18C5

Old 11-24-2006, 03:50 PM

yea my bad lol its a USDM
anyway..
a bunch of new stuff just came in, 440 cc injectors.. fuel pump..
i guess fuel management came with the kit, so im told i should be good to go for 10 psi. but i did some research and i havent really found a car that has 10.8 compression running 10 psi that hasnt fried.. so im going to go safe and run around 7 for awhile, hopefully that wont do any damage.
thx for the help

Old 11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: matts96hb

i guess fuel management came with the kit, so im told i should be good to go for 10 psi. but i did some research and i havent really found a car that has 10.8 compression running 10 psi that hasnt fried..

Well, take a good look at mine then. I damn near fried mine.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM

High compression didn't denote your motors. Poor tuning or insufficient fuel delivery did. Ask the shop what "injector duty cycle" was at after they tune it. That's usually the final limiting factor once all other parameters are taken care of.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

High compression didn't denote your motors. Poor tuning or insufficient fuel delivery did. Ask the shop what "injector duty cycle" was at after they tune it. That's usually the final limiting factor once all other parameters are taken care of.

I agree with that to an extent. BUT. I was running 10 psi on a high compression b16a2.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:46 AM

High compression and boost with a good tune is only good for the parameters of that tune. IE, weather, humidity, gas, etc. Get a batch of bad gas in a high compression boosted motor, you've got some problems. They can be reliable, but they're more tempermental and don't have much room for error.

B18C5 is a rough engine to boost unless it has aftermarket pistons unfortunately. You're going to need to ditch the fuel management that came with that kit and run something like Neptune or Hondata with a GOOD street and dyno tune in order for it to last. Oh, and when your pistons are compressing 2500psi during combustion, another 3 isn't going to do anything but make the air in the cylinder a bit denser. Those engines can hold 350whp STOCK, it has nothing to do with psi.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

High compression and boost with a good tune is only good for the parameters of that tune. IE, weather, humidity, gas, etc. Get a batch of bad gas in a high compression boosted motor, you've got some problems. They can be reliable, but they're more tempermental and don't have much room for error.
Yes. They are not as forgiving. Just make sure the tune is done conservatively, as with any street tune.

Quick Reply: b18c5 turbo hatch