Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

About the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
HCF Member
Default About the supercharger

Im going to get one this summer in my 00' HX. What is all involved in a supercharger?
I know Ill have to get a special radiator, blow off valves (what ever thos are) and other stuff. What would the total cost involve? I cant install one by myself (I wouldnt dare do it) how much would it cost to do so and how long would my baby sit in the shop? one more thing, do they have to be replaced after awhile? I dont see why it would thoguh but I want sum info. Help a fellow civi owner out PLZ!

Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: About the supercharger

a positive pisplacment blower (or roots style) which your civic will use bolts directly to the block making it hard to intercool and you wont need a blow off valve because they come with pre mounted dumps which do the same thing, but without the cool sound.

I installed my s/c myself in about 3 hours, and that includes the time spent installing the ECU. Your s/c shouldnt need to be replaced anytime soon and the s/c oil needs to be changed like every 200,000 miles so dont worry about that stuff.

What all is involved? its pretty simple, alot less complex than a turbo setup. Its basically a 1-piece supercharger, possibly an extra/larger injector, and an ECU that will be needed. After that, its small stuff like putting on a new belt, changing to colder spark plugs, and sometimes changing the flywheel bolt.

As for intercooling, I had to get a water injection kit which is arguably just as good as an intercooler. If you want me to go into detail about that then just ask. Hope this helps

Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

they come with pre mounted dumps which do the same thing, but without the cool sound.

Is that the cool sound that a turbo makes? LOL I saw a thing that makes that sound for like $20! haha

It helps a TON! Ill have to get somebody to help me with it. When it comes to your life... I dont wnat to do it my self the first time.

One more thing, what kind of ecu will I need and why.... I was told by my dealer the ecu registers actual mileage of the vehicle... will I lose that? I dont have an RPM guage... is that ok( i really dont care that much that i dont have one)?

Old 01-27-2005, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

I cant wait till the day I can pull up next to a celica or a maxima and say " I bet ill smoke your a$$"

Old 01-27-2005, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

the blow off valve makes the "psssh" sound, the turbo itself is more of a whistle.

As for the ECU, its used because with the added air the engine is getting the stock computer cant keep up. I've never heard of an ECU keeping mileage?? Also, with forced induction it would be wise to invest in a tac, definately worth it.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

it does have a rev limiter on it. although Im going to have to devise a way to sort of hide it. Scuse me about that... i know im going to be laughed at but i always though the ecu was the same as the computer.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:07 PM
HCF Member

the ecu is the computer, and its different with Polos car, cause its a Corolla. yours will come with some sort of piggyback fuel controller, it basically lies to the ecu about airflow, tricking it into dumping more fuel when needed. hey polo, so you think all i need for that SC on my wifes 01 is a new hood with more clearance?

Old 01-28-2005, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

She has the 1zz-fe right? Then yes, everything i've seen and read is that the only problems were hood clearance and the ECU. You wont be able to use the TRD ECU piggyback, it will have to be an aftermarket ECU like jetchip, unichip, etc. They sell the S/C kit alot cheaper without the ECU so check into that.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

Cool. What brand should I look at. I was looking at jackson brand but its not talking about the horsepower I want

Old 01-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Well, polo is definitely the authority on this one, so take his word over mine, but you might look at Vortech as well.

Quick Reply: About the supercharger