Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

2004 Civic Si Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

i should update that thread for you lol, i have purchased probably another $500 worth of crap to make it run efficient

and people, you take these threads so seriously, stop ripping on the guy because he didnt "word" his post right, i was the exact same way he was if not worse when i started my build over a year ago...

on to what i "think" could help you on your way.
-precision injectors are cheaper and just as good
-no need for the fuel rail
-no need for the fuel pressure regulator for only 200whp
-find a cheaper intercooler, just get an ebay intercooler + piping + clamp + couplar kit, they are cheap and if your only running 7lbs of boost hte clamps/couplars will hold up... you may have to cut / weld some of the piping though if you cant find a true specific kit.
-your stock radiator will be fine
-instead of stealth mode oil return lines email stan@fast-turbo.com, he is awesome and there oil return lines kick absolute *** (thats the email btw greddy, i think i gave you the wrong one, have him hook you up with a sprung stage 1 action clutch! asap!!)
-1 step colder plugs (ask your auto store what one step colder than your oem plug would be)
-get a catch can too, it keeps the oil mist from going back into your intake (you will be spraying oil out of places you couldnt imagine under boost)
-for the glowshift gauges, get your boost and oil pressure from them, then go get yourself a aem a/f gauge with a bosch wideband o2 sensor, throw those on your pillar with a tri-pod and your interior will be sexxxed up to the max!

thats all i really see, i dont know about the tuning aspect of your car so i cant help you there, wish i could... what motor is in that anyway? im absolutely clueless to your car, is it dohc vtec? because you will EASILY make 200whp on 7psi even with a small internally gated turbo, and you will have crazy ammounts of torque too if thats a k20 dohc vtec like im thinking it is. and those k's can handle up to 400+whp on stock internals i hear from my tuner, so yea, your pretty much set.

good luck, if you have any more q's pm me... and guys, stop flaming start helping

-didder

Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

First off, thanks a ton for the help. Just finished reading your whole thread a second time, and have adjusted my Excel Spreadsheet for purchases a few times based on what you did.

Second, I realize that there are going to be more misc. expenses on this than I can even imagine. That is why my current expected date of completion is around the beginning of the year, so that I can just take my whole Christmas Bonus and put it toward this, and not spend too much of my actual bi-weekly paychecks. I figure 1 large item a check or so until then, when I just go crazy and finish the purchases up. Then on to installation.....good thing my roomate cant drive his truck til this time next year.

Third, I have the K20A3 i-VTEC DOHC. And after your post, I think I may be low-balling what my goals should be. Maybe I will change my goals to 225-250 range, but I will hold off on that until I do some more reading, and see how realistic that is with what I am looking at getting.

Now, on to your suggestions:
-I did look into Precision Injectors today, and might go that route. They are high impedance, so I dont need to have a resistor box, right?
-At what point do you have to start looking at a fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator?
-I will look at an Ebay Intercooler/Piping setup....could save a ton of money.
-I have contacted Stan@fast-turbo.com and I await his response. You seem lke you have been through a lot, and so I trust your advice.
-I do have a catch can on my spreadsheet, just dont have a place to get it or a price next to that. I know you went over it in your thread. When I get closer to putting this together, I will read back through that part.
-As for the gauges, I am going with glowshift, and will look into the AEM A-F gauges. I was actually super excited when glowshift had the grey(matches my car) pillar gauge cluster.

Once again, Thanks. Feel free to give me more advice while I make my way through this.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

-theres a catch can special in the vendor section actually... a catch cans a catch can... i got mine from honda-tech market place for $50, you can get them for super cheap or up to $100+... i mid graded it lol
-precision 440's you will not need a resistor box for, they are plug and play
-im using my stock fuel rail lol... that should tell you something about that
-i honestly dont know about the fuel pressure regulator, i would contact a tuner and tell him you are looking for between 200-250whp and ask him if he would suggest getting one, after all hes going to have to be the one to deal with your fuel anyway, plus, there $50 bucks if you do need one, i just got mine today and its pretty sexy looking
-i have the godspeed intercooler kit for my car, but i dont like it very much, so stay away from that, i dont like that the piping is 2" from turbo to intercooler then 2.5" from intercooler to throttle body, plus i paid $350 and there are much cheaper kits out there
-your lucky i had to pay $30 bucks for a single pillar pod because glow shift didnt have the grey one, only had black, there single pillars are only like $10 bucks shipped

hmm your k20 has 160 hp stock, just to give you some numbers on what to expect, greddy is running about the same sized turbo on 10 lbs with a car that has 127 hp stock and is making 210whp... plus your motor should flow better, so i think your new goal range is more adequate thats going to be a mighty fun dd'er

Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

-Okay, you have sold me on it....def getting a catch can(I was already sold on it actually, just didnt know they were that low priced). I will probably copy you and go middle of the road.
-Thanks for the advice on the Precisions, I am actually going to save $150 on those.
-i will wait and add a fuel rail later. I am sure they can only help, though I dont need one. I will wait til the turbo is up and running first.
-I am going to look into the fuel pressure regulator, and call around tomorrow(havent exactly decided on a tuner....one I know a guy, but dont really like him....the other I havent heard anything....good or bad)
-your intercooler set sounds silly....I dont realize why they would change the inlet and outlet for your intercooler
-I am so confused by glowshift....I want the grey pillar pod($32)....yet they have a carbon fiber one(both are three gauges) for $18....so weird. Also...looked into the AEM AF gauge with wideband O2 sensor....is it like $200? I just want to make sure I am looking at the right thing.

Yeah....I looked around and supposively my car has 130whp stock. Add a good tune, turbo, exhaust, underdrive pulleys....200-250 should be easily attainable. I read a little bit today about T28 turbos(due to the fact that Im not looking for too huge of an increase) I am pretty set on the T3T4....but after I do a little reading maybe more knowledge will change my mind.

One actual question....is K-Pro $995 everywhere? I haven't seen it over or under that, is that a set price everywhere?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

i have no idea about the k-pro, i use hondata s300

just get the grey tri-pod dont need to rice it up

a/f gauges + wideband are around $200

my intercooler piping is RETARDED, but it will work

go to honda-tech.com marketplace for a quality catch can

if you get a t3/t4 turbo you w/ill be pushing well above 220whp on 7-8 psi lol, a d16 with a good tune will make 210-220whp with a t3/t4 turbo

Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

I am pretty sure everyone sells k-pro for 995....ah well....i knew this was going to be expensive.

I am def getting the grey tri-pod...i doubt that the carbon fiber is even real

I went to honda-tech marketplace.....found nice deals on a ton of things....but forgot to even look at catch cans.....ah well.....thats what work tomorrow is for

Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Definitely go with the t3/t4. I'm using a 48/63 t3/t4 on a 1.7L d17 and it hits full boost around 3k. With a similar sized turbo on that 2 L of yours you should be seeing perfect performance ranges with some room to turn it up after you upgrade some other stuff. Go check out on greddy's website, they have some stuff about turbo basics and some more advanced stuff. They have a big section on optimum performance and mass flow levels for different sized turbos and optimization, that will help you decide. Just so ya know, a catch can is really simple. I built my own home depot style out of plumbing parts because I'm too cheap to pay $50 for a bottle with a baffle, some hose fittings and a drain. So just know that the option is there, if you can handle diy in your engine bay. Oh and k-pro is 1k everywhere. Hondata is the only company that does it. They only do it on a job by job basis, and they are keeping how its done a pretty tight secret, considering all the r&d. So basically, one company does it and no one will sell one after they get it.. so they are a grand everywhere.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I looked into T28s a little more last night, and I am once again confirmed getting a T3/T4. I haven't decided exactly on what specs, hopefully the book that arrives tomorrow or Greddy's website can help me with that. I did think about making a DIY catch can, but with a birthday and christmas coming up, I doubt I am going to be able to get people to buy the larger items I am looking at, so that is something I could ask someone to buy me. With that said, I think I am going to make the first two purchases of this project be 1. Hondata K-Pro and 2. Turbo/Wastegate/BOV. That will get things rolling, and help me to determine what exact pieces I need to go with those. Thanks for the info Baron

Old 08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
HCF Member

And so I received my book today. I have read through the first few pages, and it looks to be a perfect book for me. I will let yas know if I learn anything earthshattering, though I just assume I will catch up to your knowledge bases.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

go with the t3/t4 you can get a journal bearing t3/t04e garret 50 trim .63 a/r turbo for under $600 bucks on honda-tech... if you want the ball bearing upgrade for even faster boost and boost held through your shifts go with the ball bearing ($400 more ouch)

see if you cant find a downpipe / dump / mani setup that will let you retain your a/c and power steering, my setup managed to barely let me keep mine and i am sure as heck i will be loving myself for it next summer

again GL!

Quick Reply: 2004 Civic Si Turbo Project