Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

2004 Civic Si Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by therickus
Haha....ok. Apparently I was naive in the first place. My idea was to say....hey....im getting this, this, and this. Do you guys foresee problems? Do you have suggestions? I have read the stickies a few times, and continue to use them, as I figure out what exactly I want. I did use the search function, but I have had trouble finding others with my car, other than importcivicus. If you simply think I am being redundant, just avoid the thread.... I would have been much happier if no one at all commented. Rather, I have received very little of the assistance I asked for.
everyone has already asked these questions and asked if what they are going to buy is good.
talk a loot at www.turbd16.com if you wanna get an idea on what your going to need and what problems people have ran into

Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

ok i'm gonna attempt to give you some actual help. yes the search feature works, i went from being clueless about turbos to installing a complete kit alone just from online research sooo just keep looking... but.... k-pro is the only way to go. don't even consider anything else, i say buy it even if you don't turbo. you need to go look at a total complete list. you need a wastegate, vac mani and lines, gauges and a bunch of other nuts and bolts. now considering your power goals, i say swap a k20a2. with the swap and k-pro you should be over 210 hp. since you already have a k, all you really have to swap is the engine and trans. taking that into account versus the complication of a turbo, i think its a much better option for your goals. thats my 2 cents.. if you're still set on a turbo, go read speedfoos's giant thread on civicforums.com. i learned more from that that any other single place about building a turbo kit.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

Thank you very much. I do realize that I need a vacuum mani, lines, a wastegate(i really want an internally gated turbo), gauges, gauge pod, yada yada ya... I wasnt going to list out every little thing, because that would have gotten super tedious for me....and no one would have read it all. Thank you for the advice, I will continue to do research. I really would like to go the route of an a2 swap, but the little I have looked into finding one, I havent had much luck, and they seem to be much more expensive. Also, I dont have some of the necissary equip to do a full engine swap, which would make it even more of a problem. I do think that K-pro will be the next purchase I make however.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

Ok then just research both options before you really commit to one. A turbo is a lot of fun, and a bov is freakin cool no matter what anyone says, but for your goals a swap is a lot more practical and probably cheaper, considering that whole you already have a k thing again. The tools really aren't that big of a deal. You will be missing tools when you go to install a turbo too. If you don't have to go to autozone or a hardware store like 3 million times, you didn't install it right. You also have to consider the endless string of headaches that come with the thrills of owning a turbo car. High test gas, extra oil changes, random cel's, crap coming loose or breaking.... a new clutch etc etc. on and on i'm not trying to necessarily stear you away from a turbo but thats some of the stuff that no one told me before I went turbo, so be aware.. its a lot more work that owning an n/a car.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Snail'n Admin

heres the thing, had you listed EVERYTHING you think youd need, id actually probably would have read it and figured you had SOME idea of what you were doing.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

fuel rail and filter both aren't necesarry, apparently tuning without a manual adjustable FPR makes it harder for the tuner, so skip that too. For the spark plugs, run one step colder than what you do now (OEM), add a custom downpipe to that list, and add another $100-$200 for random additional costs. Maybe pick up a vacuum manifold, that makes it alot easier, and makes sure you've got gauges (boost gauge, oil pressure, wideband if you want, your tuner will thank you for that one), and i'm sure theres some other stuff but whatever, RESAERCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

EDIT: forgot wastegate too, maybe watch your clutch when you start getting over 200hp, i think GReddy_Civic is having trouble with that right now.

Last edited by FlipHKD720; 08-22-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Snail'n Admin

^^^^^^^^^^^yes sir. Slips all the time. Get the NGK BKR7E's (i think thats the number) theyre the one step colder for our car, might be different for yours but its at least a starting point

Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

As I said earlier in the thread....I replaced my clutch back in this past winter. I got an ACT AR1-XTSS, which is should be able to handle everything I throw at it....which is why i did that. When i started looking at stuff then, I figured that would be a starting block to doing more stuff.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

Okay....here is an update. I have purchased a compression tester(didnt wonna buy one, but dont know anyone that has one) and a book(Street TurboChargers by Mark Warner....it was the newest book on amazon, and had a ton of good reviews). They will both be here on Tuesday or Wednesday, though I wont be able to get the compression testing done til next weekend most likely. I will probably buy another book or two, as I havent bought anything that would go to waste if I didnt go turbo. I think that after reading this book, I should have a better idea as to what I will buy, in what order, as I hope to put things together as I get them. Is that a bad idea? Obviously I can't put the turbo, manifold, piping, intercooler, etc on....but K-Pro....and some of the small items could be put on. I plan on reading through "Didder"s whole thread, as from what little I have read he has been very specific about "doing this and doing that" and he has had his fair share of problems(though from what I read he also bought a built engine and put that in at the same time....So yeah.....Thanks for the advice I have received lately...keep it comin.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

just take it to a performance shop that'll do it for you. Turbo+tune+knowing you shouldn't have any problems, just a piece of mind.

Quick Reply: 2004 Civic Si Turbo Project