Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

2004 civic DX turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

well lets see here, i did do my reserch CRONIC!!! but im having trouble which is why im asking.

cuz i really dont want to pay 5k for a K20 and then another 3-4k for the turbo kit when i could possibly get a k23 for like 6k and have turboed stock!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 AM

the right way to do it (i think this will work for you to pass smog):

1. Get an EX exhaust for your body style/year Civic
2. Get an EX catalytic converter for your body style/year Civic
3. Get an O2 extension wire harness for the catalytic converter's O2 sensor.
4. Get/install a turbo kit made for EX
5. Only way to tune that I know of on your car is a piggy back unit like GReddy e-manage or Apex-i VAFC

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by DC17
well lets see here, i did do my reserch CRONIC!!! but im having trouble which is why im asking.

cuz i really dont want to pay 5k for a K20 and then another 3-4k for the turbo kit when i could possibly get a k23 for like 6k and have turboed stock!

nah you obviously havent done and research because your asking questions that have already been asked 500 times. All I'm saying is dont ask how much and engine or parts are going to cost because you can easily get the price by searching google, also the topic of swapping your engine or turboing it has been discussed even more.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

btw...sry for my bad grammer...and for being a jacka** to noobs.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM

There's nothing wrong with the question he asked.
I don't see people asking often about how to turbo a Civic with the cat in the exhaust manifold and trying to still pass smog.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

thats because it is incredibly difficult to pass smog with a turbo d17. the only way to practically run a cat with a turbo setup is to use a high flow cat. there are two standalones available for the d17, but neither are carb legal.

and a k swap is expensive period. no way around it. the cheapest possible way is to find a donor car. you seriously need to analyze your goals for your em2. a turbo k is a serious project capable of 400+ hp easy. and if you turbo the k you still wont pass smog...sooo ... i'd be sticking n/a if i were you.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
the right way to do it (i think this will work for you to pass smog):

1. Get an EX exhaust for your body style/year Civic
2. Get an EX catalytic converter for your body style/year Civic
3. Get an O2 extension wire harness for the catalytic converter's O2 sensor.
4. Get/install a turbo kit made for EX
5. Only way to tune that I know of on your car is a piggy back unit like GReddy e-manage or Apex-i VAFC
thats what i was thinking, my friend that works with honda told me to do that, but i wasnt sure if that was carb legal. but i think im gonna go ahead and do that.

thanks trustdestruction.

and CRONIC! hell with you man, you are no help what so ever!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DC17
thats what i was thinking, my friend that works with honda told me to do that, but i wasnt sure if that was carb legal. but i think im gonna go ahead and do that.

thanks trustdestruction.

and CRONIC! hell with you man, you are no help what so ever!
Well before you go ahead and do that, baron340 mentioned that piggy-back units aren't CARB legal. I'm not sure about the validity of this statement, but there has to be a CARB legal way to tune a D17. I would do more research on the tuning aspect of your setup before you decide to buy anything. The other things I mentioned though should all be CARB legal, it's just the tuning i'm unsure about.

Make sure the exhaust and catalytic converter you get are CARB legal. Any good name brand should be.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 AM
HCF Member

a piggy MAY be carb legal because you keep the stock ecu but I dont think it is. again i'm assuming you live in CA here. but here it is and i'm done until you decide to listen to good advice. there are only TWO kits available for your engine. only one is worth a crap, the dezod kit. it is NOT carb legal. sorry... as far as i'm aware the only carb legal turbo for any civic is the greddy kit for the d16, but thats neither here nor there. if you keep a stock cat in any form it will kill your exhaust flow and seriously hamper hp capability. the only possibility is a generic high flow cat. soooo.... do you actually live in CA? do they inspect your car or just do a sniffer? do they just inspect without the sniffer? or both? because if you have an inspection you will not pass with a turbo. the only way to pass that is if the only thing they are looking for is the presence of a cat. some states just check to make sure you have one and you're good to go. so whats the deal? but i'm telling you, its hard to pass smog with a turbo unless you k-pro or aem ems to tightly control your fuel levels.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

yup im from CA. i emailed the stated to see when i needed a smog check, and they told me i didn't need one till 2010, so im going to wait till after i get my car smogged and then i think im going to use the EX cat and stuff so that its somewhat CARB legal.

but ya i know what mean BARON340, im listinng. im doing anything yet, i gotta do a little more reserch and see what i come up with. thanks again

Quick Reply: 2004 civic DX turbo