Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Yet another keyless question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Yet another keyless question

K guys/gals here it is. 97 EX with an aftermarket head unit, bought a new key fob off ebay but can't find out how to program it. Still have the old fob and it works perfectly with all buttons just has seen much better days. The instructions I got with it talk about a valet button on the stock head unit but obviously that has been replaced and isnt there so I dont have a damn clue. I am sure there is some way to program it but I cant find anything anywhere. All I can find is the turning the ignition on, pressing the remote yadda yadda but that aint workin(not sure if that will even work or not). I swear I tried the search function before posting. Thanks as always peeps!!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Yet another keyless question

The keyless remote control unit is built into the stock radio, without which you won't be able to operate the keyless remote. I assume that after market options are available.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 AM
HCF Member

The keyless option works without the stock radio in it. Unlocks and locks doors perfect. I just need to program a new remote.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 AM
HCF Member

i bet you have an aftermarket keyless entry unit, like the box all the wires go through in there some where if it still works ands its got a different head unit, if you do try to find out what brand it it

Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, the keyless system is after market or the stock radio remains hooked up and tucked behind the new one:

Name:  picture_1029.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  picture_1030.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  78.0 KB

Old 06-07-2008, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

The car had the stock head unit installed when I got it. I got a new stereo about 2 years ago. The stock remote still works fine and has been for the last 2 years. I just am trying to add a new remote.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Given that the stock radio contains the keyless receiver unit in your model Civic, we were trying to figure why your remote still works. Regardless, look at the diagram above on how to add a new remote.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

most likely when they instaled your new radio they kept the old one behind the dash to keep your keyless entry. look under the dash and behind the glove box and see ifyou can see your old radio up in there... if not it might be behind your center dash and youd have to pull the whole center console part to get to it.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 AM
HCF Member

This is getting crazy lol!! So the only way to add a remote is to have access to the stock head unit??

Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

on a 96-98.... yep

heres another idea for ya... since your remote still works and it just looks bad.... pull the covers off and just swap the new good looking case on the working remote

Quick Reply: Yet another keyless question