Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window regulator issue need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Default Window regulator issue need help!!

OK heres the deal. Have a 92 civic ex 4dr the right rear window regulator took a dump on me. So I thought.
I replaced the regulator today I pulled one from the junk yard. The one from the junk yard was in the up position so I connected it to my car before installing and rolled it down, went down no problem. I went ahead with the install now it wont roll up. So I took the old one and hooked it up to the connectors it wont roll up either but if I hit the switch to roll it down it pulls. Its already all the way down so it wont go anywhere but both of them are doing the same thing will go down but not up. I am thinking maybe its the switch but my only issue with thinking its the switch is the drivers control wont roll it up either. Any ideas????

Old 03-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Window regulator issue need help!!

Here's how to test the switches:

Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya sounds to me like either the moduale for the window is bad or the switch is bad..... either way to make it roll up. get some scrap wires or jumpers of same thickness of stock wires, and just switch the two wires off the motor. that will reverse the polarity just like fliping the switch to UP. its at least a good way to GET IT UP NOW and be able to drive the car

Old 03-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Im definately not the sharpest tool in the shed how do I go about jumping the wires to reverse the polarity? Mechanically Im pretty good electrical Im a fish out of water lol

Old 03-03-2008, 02:39 PM

If it was a switch what are the odds that neither the drivers control and the right rear control would work?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: honda_f3cbr

If it was a switch what are the odds that neither the drivers control and the right rear control would work?
High. The two switches are interdependent.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Meaning that they rely on each other? Either one or the other may be bad not necassarily both?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Correct. Note how the R. rear switch wiring runs through the corresponding switch in the driver's switch assembly:

Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Like I said Im no good with electrical stuff so as a suggestion would you recommend switching both switches out or ??

Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am recommending that you test the switches as detailed in my earlier post. If you don't know how to use a continuity tester, then find a buddy who does and is willing to help you. Otherwise, you may replace components unnecessarily ($$$).

Quick Reply: Window regulator issue need help!!