Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

window off track

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
HCF Member
Default window off track

Ok, I was heading up to VT to go to my girlfriends friends graduation ceremony at Goddard. At the start of the trip going to a Dunkin d's my window came off the run channel in the front, near the mirror. I tried relentlessly to pull it back while whinding it up but to no avail. The motors still good so I didn't want to burn it out trying any harder.So had to drive the whole trip with the heat blasting and my body numb with cold. It's a 3 hour trip from where I live in new hampshire one way. I was going to tape a trashbag to it, but I would rather be numb with cold than have duct tape sticky stuck onto my paint, and the sound of a bag whiping at 80+ speeds is just painful. Well I wanna get this fixed but not at a shop cause I know how much places can charge for window repairs. So I'm going to attempt this myself.

I found some diagrams in a 96-00 service manual, and a diy from forty04, among others. But I'm wondering if it'll be easier to get to the part of the window where it's coming off track to pry it back on to fix it. Or if it's going to take more than that. The diagrams are helpful but haveing no real knowledge of a window configuration I'm hopeing i'll be able to figure it out more, once I take the panel off.

If anyones got any extra info, tips, hints whatever help a brother out cause it's colder than a witches tit in a brass bra around here.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:49 PM
gwl
HCF Member
Default RE: window off track

You need to pull off the door panel in order to have access to front window track assembly. After you put the glass back on the track, shoot some silicone spray on the track and to the back edge of the glass.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

+1

Test the window operation before you put the panel back on. You may possibly find that you need a new window regulator.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

I took all the screws off, but haven't gotten the panel off yet. I thought I had a trim pad remover for the plastic clips but don't. Kinda weary about using a flathead.. don't wanna damage the paint.

I looked down the 'front channel' (front rubber track)and the window is tottaly off the track. With the door panel off is there a way to loosen the track and move it back to slide the window back in place? I don't really understand the steps after that. The diagram shows steps for replacing the motor and the regulator which I don't wanna do.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

If I loosen the mounting bolt on the front channel,will this allow me to move the window back into the track?

I'm kinda confused because removeing the door panel gives me access to one side of the window, but the side that the window jumped the track is the other side. Do I pry the rubber track back so the window will be in the center?

Thanks for the tips so far, I do have some silicone spray I'll use if I can figure this out lol.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There are two bolts that attach the window to the regulator. If you can't access them, try moving the window slightly up or down. Freeing the window by removal of these bolts should allow you to get it back on track. When you do, make sure the regulator functions properly prior to reinstalling the door panel.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

Just loosen the bolts on the regulator right?So I shouldn'ttouch the mounting bolts on the front channel.

I wanna try not to harm as many clips/pins as possible when taking the door panel off. My dad said to pull out then up, he took one off of an accord tho. So I dunno if their is a strategy or not. I'll try a flathead and put some cloth under it, see if that works taking them off one by one.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

For the panel removal, your Dad's right, the clips will pop out pretty easily, then lift the panel up and out of the window channel.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

I'll finish up tomorrow and post any struggles along the way. Going to pick up more silicone spray (not much left) some clips in case i break some. And a few other things.

Thanks for all the help

Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

Alright just wanted to conclude that Ifixed my window. Feels good to get this done and not have to pay a mechanic anything.

Funny thing is the hardest part of this repair was getting the plastic clips off the panel. I used a small maglite and pryed the bottom of the panel just enough to spot exactly where the clips were. Then just took a flathead to them and picked em off one by one.

Theres two boltsto the front channel track. I just took the bolt off of the bottom and slid it back a few inches than slicked thetrack from bottom to topwith silicone spray and with a little pulling and moving of the window came back on the track.The motor and regulator seem fine, aligned perfect with the top runner. So thats that

If anyone needs help with this procedure pm me cause I did a boat load of research, and after doing this can do it a lot faster knowing the ropes.

Quick Reply: window off track