Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wierd problem, any diagnosis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
HCF Member
Default Wierd problem, any diagnosis?

I recently bought a 2005 civic, and i didn't notice any problem when i test drove it... music was on etc... but i noticed one day while the music was off, and i was parked... that my shifter makes a click constantly. even when i am driving.

Ok, you know the sound the shifter makes(automatic) when you press on the brake, so that it allows you to shift from park to drive or whatever? My car will make that sound continuously, while i am in park, or drive(yes while im driving i can hear it if music is off... and i can feel a pulse if i lightly press on the brakes that it keeps doing it all that time.)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that was? I also am having a problem keeping cruise control on... but if theire is a problem with the brakes pulsating constantly, that is why the cruise control doesn't work, because the car thinks im braking so it won't cruise control, you know?

I tested my acceleration versus my fiance's identical 2004 civic. It has more miles, and still beats the hell out of mine, and i did this after i thought it was something with the brakes. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

Have the shift-interlock solenoid checked. I have seen similar noises come from messed up solenoids in the past.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

Would that affect acceleration at all?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's probably the switch on the brake pedal that activates the shift interlock, cruise control, and the brake lights. There may be two circuits in the switch so the brake lights work OK but the other stuff doesn't. It may just be out of adjustment or the little rubber pad on the pedal arm that presses the switch (if it had one) has fallen off.

This will not affect the performance of the car, since the brakes aren't actually being applied. The switch just falsely thinks they are.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM
HCF Member

Hey, i changed my shift interlock solenoid and it still makes the noise.

The switch i had a budy mechanic look at it and stuff, he thought it was the solenoid also.

What else could this be? I don't mind the actual clicking noise. But i want my cruise control to work. Asmentioned above, if this clicking exists than the computer thinks i'm braking, causing the cruise control to stop since it thinks the brake is being applied.

What else could the cruise control be affected by?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

My bet is still on the brake pedal switch. It could also be the shift lever switch. I think it is designed to only allow the cruise to work in D or D3, not other gears.