Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

whomp whomp whomp when turning at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Default whomp whomp whomp when turning at low speeds

This is a weird one. Early in the beginning of the day, for the first few corners only, when turning at a relatively tight radius, I hear a whomp whomp whomp coming from the side of the car on the outside of the turn at wheel speed. More when turning left, but sometimes when turning right. It's not a CV joint clank clank clank either. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Default RE: whomp whomp whomp when turning at low speeds

it sounds like a wheel bearing or a ball joint. grab your wheels and give them a couple hard shakes. if they move, then its probably one of those two things. i think its straight back and forth movement indicates balljoint.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Well I shook and shook and could not find any undue movement in the front end or the rear (I checked to be sure). Do you think it could have something to do with the drums?

Old 02-06-2006, 03:32 PM
HCF Member

is your car lowered? if yes, did you correct the camber? is there any movement in your car when this happens, or only the noise? you said it goes away after awhile? ........ check your tranny fluid level lately?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:03 PM

It's not lowered, there is absolutely no movement, and I have a manual transmission. I am not sure if that applies to what you said or not. Let me know.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

The CV joint is prob SHOT. Clunk Clunk Clunk only when ur turning right?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

it just reminds me kindof how 4x's avct when trying to turn when the 4x is engaged. the whells are turning at the same speed, so in a tight turn the inside wheel has to slip on the surface, but it also creates a lurching movement... what you should do is have a buddy either drive or listen and recreate the scenario. maybe you can narrow it down to a smaller area... or see if a wheel is indeed moving in ways it should not.. sometimes thats hard to check with just your hands pulling on the wheel.. jack it up and use a bar to see if anything goes where it should not.. hopefully its just a loose splashgaurd

Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

my vote is for the CV joint. Those going bad can make all sorts of noises. Generally the first thing you'll see is a torn boot on the CV, but not always. I've had them get so bad (even with no boot tear) that when the clutch was engaged and coasting in low gears the whole car would shudder from the slack coming on and off.

Jack the car up safely with jackstand and grab the shaft in question behind the outer CV and try to turn the wheel with your hand (as the motor would, in a circle). Go back and forth, if there's a noticeable amount of play, your CV is worn. I might also add that CV's are very common on this and every other front wheel drive car.

As far as wheel bearings are concerned... I don't believe this car even has any up front!

K