Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What did I do to my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Unhappy What did I do to my car?

The problem started with the PS belt, which got loose few weeks ago. I replaced and it worked good.

Last weekend the car lost PS again, so I decide to look under the hood and I found out that the belt from the alternator got strangle by the crankshaft pulley. So I replace it and try to tight the screw of the pulley which did not work for a while.

Two days ago I totally lost the PS, AC and the battery light come on.
I discover that the pulley was not turning anymore but the screw was turning. I try to tight the screw but the shaft keep turning.

I knew that the pulley was broke. I needed to replace it. Today after reading a post I read that I could fix the pulley by changing the #6203 double-sealed bearing. So I decide to remove the pulley.
Originally Posted by mk378
Also if the bearing failed, you don't have to replace the whole pulley. You can change just the bearing in it. It should be a standard #6203 double-sealed. After the pulley is off the car, use a bench vise to press the old bearing out and put a new one in.
I try to untight the screw but it never got loose. So I decide leave it to a real mechanic. And guess what happened>>>> my motor sounds like a mixer trying make a bolts shake.

Do I still have hope?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Which pulley is not turning? The big one on the engine itself? That is somewhat of a major problem.

Do not run the engine any more like that because you may be chewing up the end of the crankshaft. Or if the pulley falls off, you could lose the timing belt and blow the engine.

Assuming the crankshaft is still OK, you'd need at least a new pulley, new key, and new bolt. The bolt needs to be really tight, three or four hundred foot pounds if I remember.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks man, I really appreciated