Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

weird problem with clutch since yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: weird problem with clutch since yesterday

Put fluid in, if it still doesn't work you may need to bleed it. Then look for the leak. Pull the boot back on the slave cylinder, should be dry in there. Also look under the dash where the rod from the top of the clutch pedal goes into the master cylinder. Those are the two most common places.

The clutch itself and tranny are fine. The problem is with the cylinders on the outside which are not a major job to work on.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

yea thanks i fixed it, i opened up my clutch cylinder and looked, there was all sludge so i cleaned out all the sludge and boughtt some prestone dot 3 brake fluid and put it in, i(not honda =( dot3 fluid) i pumped the clutch and tranny smoothened up... thanks a lot guys im glad this was not a serious problem because i have no $$

Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if their was sludge then i would definatly flush the clutch system...... might as well get honda stuff and flush it with that. so your sure theirs no sludge in the lines that could become a problem again...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

Depending on where you live, you could have gotten a little bit of water in the clutch lines that may have froze and therefore cause you some problems untill it warmed up a little..

But I'd agree with the others, get some fresh fluid in that system!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

im not sure if there is sludge in my lines because the lines are pretty hard to access, i cleaned all the sludge in my container.... so how would i flush the clutch system?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Flushing and bleeding are both done with the same procedure that RonJ posted. At first, dark old fluid will come out of the bleeder hose. When it comes out looking like new fluid, it's done. You will probably need to refill the reservoir two or 3 times. Don't let it run out.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 AM
HCF Member

so by doing that i am both flushing and bleeding the system??, the same problem happened again this morning... i had to pump the clutch about 10 times for it to go into gear

Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, performing the process described in the picture multiple times until fluid coming out of the bleeder valve is clear like fresh brake fluid will both bleed and flush the clutch hydraulic system. When you finish, carefully wipe off any splashed fluid around and on the master and slave cylinders, depress the clutch many times, and recheck for leaks in those two locations.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 AM
HCF Member

how long do u think it will take to flush the system, cause someone told me its a long process but it doesnt seem so

Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Yes, performing the process described in the picture multiple times until fluid coming out of the bleeder valve is clear like fresh brake fluid will both bleed and flush the clutch hydraulic system. When you finish, carefully wipe off any splashed fluid around and on the master and slave cylinders, depress the clutch many times, and recheck for leaks in those two locations.

well i dont think theres a leak because the same amount of fluid has been in the system for the past 2 days, i think theres too much air in the system due to the container originally having no fluid in it, one more thing where exactly is the bleeder valve located

Quick Reply: weird problem with clutch since yesterday