Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A weird knock when starting car

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:43 AM
Default A weird knock when starting car

Hello everyone. New member here and I want to first say that I'm very glad I found this forum and have found many helpful posts from members.

I just purchased a red 2004 Honda Civic coupe. It's the Canadian SI version which from I'ved read and been told is the EX model in the US. Anyways, one of the first mod I did is install a K&N cold air intake. Install went ok. Started it and took it for a spin and no problem. Car seems a lot more peppier now!!

Anyways I notice now that when I start the car, when it cranks, I hear this single knock as the engine turns for the first time. The engine starts on the first crank andshe runs ok.I don't hear any more knocking. It's only during that first crank that it does it and only once.So I thought perhaps something is loose in the front. I checked all the K&N intake pipe and the connection to the throttle body and everything seems tight. I'ved not notice this knocking sound priorto theK&N intake installation. Any ideas what this could be? Is it normal? It sounds like something is hitting something when it starts but I can't see what it could be.

Thank You.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: A weird knock when starting car

Is it a "knock" or more of a quick "suck" sound? Sometimes you notice more intake sounds when you take off the stock box. Does it do it every time, like clockwork?

Get out and have someone start it for you while you stay under the hood, I would say it's a normal sound you just couldn't hear before the intake install.

Otherwise, no clue here.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 AM

Yes, it does do it everytime and really only once and then engine starts up and runs ok. No other sound. It sounds like something hitting. I don't know. I'll have to get my someone to try it out while I'm in front. I opened the hood and started it and same thing. I thought the K&N pipe was hitting the top of the hood, seeing the way that pipe comes out of the throttle body.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

mine was hitting the hood too. I cut a little bit off the rubber connector and it fixed it

hope it can work for you as well, so yours doesnt scratch up like mine did =[