Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weak Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Default Weak Start

Alright, so my car is really weak at starting in 2 scenarios... (it never fails to start though)

scenario 1:
After leaving the car overnight, it weak starts, always. After that initial start, I drive the car, and it doesn't have the problem usually the rest of the day, but the problem comes back after leaving it overnight (or longer) again.

scenario 2:
Sometimes after driving a few hours on the highway on a hot day and then parking the car in the sun for a few hours, when I go to start it back up I encounter a weak start... but not quite as weak as in scenario 1.

Car has relatively new:
spark plugs
cap/rotor
spark plug wires
alternator
fuel filter

ignition timing and mechanical timing are perfect
alternator belt is tensioned well

The starter is at least 2 years old, but is definitely not original.

Battery terminals have solid, clean connections.
The battery is about 3 years old and was a remanufactured battery from Advance auto parts.

I suspect it's the battery, but I could use some guidance/reassurance.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
HCF Member

Mine does this on cold mornings also but I notice its only when its cold and/or low on gas.
The only other time I have had a weak start is when the terminals on my battery were corroded or not tightened all the way. Just my .02. I would suspect the battery as well. Nothin wrong with having the auto parts store test it for free.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:46 PM

im having basically the same symptoms as u do even though i just bought a new battery. today is the second day in the past three weeks it hasnt started. i changed the battery, distrubter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires and still no luck = /

Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Well mine always starts, it's just weak at starting. I don't think we have the same problem.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

x3 for me and mine does it bad when im low on gas ,....read some where about pressure in the tank?? ,.....i also read about the main relay going bad ,.....but all n all i still have not found a fix

Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Ah, mine does it regardless of gas level though. My main relay has been resoldered. But it can't be the relay... if it were the relay it wouldn't start at all.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

first go to an auto parts store and have them test ur alternator and battery (its free)
also look into corrosion on battery cables and a parasitic drain
also how good are ur grounds?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Well my current battery is kind of a POS, so I think i'm gonna go ahead and buy a new battery anyway. This one has been drained (on accident) to being dead and then recharged about 4 times.

The battery cables are clean. I don't think I have any parasitic drain, and i'm not sure where to start looking. My amp turns off like it should when the radio is turned off, and I can't really think of anything else that could be causing it.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 AM

Bought the new battery yesterday... was like $102, and then I used a $20 off coupon at advance auto parts on it (got it in their monthly newsletter, score!). It's an AutoCraft gold battery with 500 cold cranking amps, 3 year replacement warranty, and a 7 year pro-rated warranty. Seems to start a little bit better, but the conditions weren't right yesterday for the problem to arise anyway. So the moment of truth will be later today whenever I decide to drive it.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM

update:
starts great now!

Quick Reply: Weak Start