Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve adjustment now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Valve adjustment now wont start

In all sincerity, I just don't know. I remain hopeful, but you won't really know for sure until you solve the spark problem. Follow closely the advice provided by mk378. Finally, double/triple check that the valves are properly adjusted (see pictures in my earlier post) prior to firing her up.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM

how much would it cost to get ur valves adjusted anyways like a rough estimate

Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

I would say it's about an hour job. So what ever an hour of labor costs at your shop of choice. At least there are no parts for that job that need to be purchased.

I say you may have ruined your head because you stated that you gave them "one turn two turns max." When I adjusted mine (first time in 120K) I only had to turn up to 1/4 of a turn MAX. So I figure from two turns (EIGHT TIMES THE NEEDED AMOUNT) would close all clearance and start pushing the valves forward towards the piston. As stated somewhere else, the valves are only a mm or two from the piston at TDC so it is likely with two turns that you may have slightly bent your valves. And no matter how slightly you bend a valve, it will not seal afterwards, hence it not starting. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: honda_farmboy

And no matter how slightly you bend a valve, it will not seal afterwards, hence it not starting. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
if it is only 1 cylinder that has a bent valve, car would start but miss on that particular cylinder ..
If , as he stated, car was running ok and did not start after the valve adjustment,, that is the first thing he has to do,,correctly adjust trhe valves and hopefully no damage was done to the valves,, 2 turns in, as he said ,is way,way to much ..
Now,, if car gets no spark, that is another issue ,,

Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

I dont believe that anything is wrong with the spark, he started the original problem, with the valve adjustment. now i think that he is taking stuff off to see if there is another existing problem. which in the original post, there wasnt. he needs to have the valves checked, and if they are correct, then search elsewhere. because i really dont think that he can be sure due to his lack of expierence. do ur self the favor and take it to a mechanic that knows. good luck