Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valve Adjustment - Which method to follow? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Default Valve Adjustment - Which method to follow? Please help!

I have located at least 3 different sets of instructions on the web on how to adjust the valves on my 99 Honda Civic LX SOHC 1.6L. They are different, very different from one another. Very frustrating to say the least. The set of instructions I followed can be found here:
http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...honda_car.html

I just need someone to verify as to whether or not this method is correct for my particular engine. And... if anyone knows where a better set of instructions are, please do post the link to them in your response.

In particular, I am wanting to know if the following section is correct (pretend you just got done adjusting the first valve withe the crank at TDC):

Number Three
Rotate the crankshaft to the left (counter clock-wise) 180 degrees or a half turn, the cam will turn a quarter turn, 90 degrees. The "UP" mark should be pointed to the exhaust side of the engine. Check the valve clearance with the feeler gauge for each valve for the number three cylinder, again taking note if it is exhaust or intake since they have different specifications.

Number Four
Rotate the crankshaft to the left (counter clock-wise) 180 degrees or a half turn, the cam will turn a quarter turn, 90 degrees. The "UP" mark should be pointed down. Check the valve clearance with the feeler gauge for each valve for the number four cylinder, again taking note if it is exhaust or intake since they have different specifications.

Number Two
Rotate the crankshaft to the left (counter clock-wise) 180 degrees or a half turn, the cam will turn a quarter turn, 90 degrees. The "UP" mark should be pointed to the intake side. Check the valve clearance with the feeler gauge for each valve for the number two cylinder, again taking note if it is exhaust or intake since they have different specifications.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Set the cylinder you're adjusting so the valves are fully closed, this is best done by setting it to TDC on the power stroke (the point where the spark plug fires). So you start at TDC1 (position for installing the timing belt, UP is at top), then go around with 1/4 turns of the cam (1/2 turns of the crank) in the firing order. This is the reason the instructions are written to go 1-3-4-2, that is how the engine is built for the sequence the cylinders fire as it runs.

Start with UP at top and adjust #1
Turn so UP is at front (exhaust side) and adjust #3
Turn so UP is at bottom and adjust #4
Turn so UP is at back (intake side) and adjust #2

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Name:  picture_5031.jpg
Views: 27663
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  picture_5032.jpg
Views: 23456
Size:  64.1 KB