Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

updated overheating problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member
Default updated overheating problem.....

ok so i thought that my headgasket was going out cause i thought i had oil in my radiator but it was just dirt.I have replaced the thermo,the fan switch,the rad cap and tried everything else.The oil is clean and so is the water.Its heating up and boiling over after about 15 minutes of driving.We made a switch so that i can turn the fan on and leave it on and that didnt do any good.So i think im pretty much outta ideas right now so if anyone can help me that would be great....if i left out anything pls ask anything to tell the situation better cause i really need to get this fixed.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: updated overheating problem.....

Maybe air in the radiator or lines? Did you try flushing it?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
HCF Member

maybe u can try bleeding the system to get all of the air out if their is any

Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 AM
HCF Member

well we have tried that like 4 times now....now we havent done the COMPLETE flush like with the hose and everything but we have drained it and put new fluid back in and i sat there for a bit and squeezed the bottom hose till i got most the air out.Then i let it sit there and idle just for a bit and looked at it and never saw anymore bubbles come out.Maybe its that sensor in the housing of the thermo but i dont know,thats one of the only things left we havent switched out.I wish i at least had a leak or something so that i knew for sure...lol..but i dont so its hard cause i thought ive tried everything so far.When i was driving when i had the fan just stay on for good with that switch it almost seemed like it was making it worse for some reason but i dont know.I just really need to figure out something cause i can only go like 10 minutes of driving.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:48 AM
gwl
HCF Member

The replacement of the thermo switch that you are talking won't help if you already wired your fan the stay on and it stills overheats. Did you check if your water pump is circulating water. You have to check it when your car is cold with rad cap is off. When your engine thermostats open at temp, you should see water moving around the radiator especially when you increase the engine speed.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

well we did the fan after we replaced the switch anyways...yeah we checked and saw the water was circulating when the motor was going so i dont think the pump is the problem.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:51 AM
HCF Member

damn this really sucks cause i would think it couldnt be many more things....maybe i got a faulty thermo or something,i dont know why even when i would have the fan on 24/7 when i was driving that it would still get hot like that so fast.I know the water is going through both hoses from the rad.Its just throwing all that water into the overflow and just burning it off pretty quick.Like i said its fine for the first 15 minutes and then all the sudden it gets so hot pretty fast.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
gwl
HCF Member

This is a dumb question, but kind of radiator cap to you have? I think right now you will need a pressure test your system and the rad cap. Get a true reading of your engine temp, easiest way is to usethose infrared temperature guns.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member

i just went to the dealership yesterday and got a honda rad cap so i think the caps good...maybe i didnt flush it good enough so i went and bought one of the kits from autozone for 4 bucks and im gonna try that and see if it works cause i was just draining it and filling it back up.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

i just flushed the system with that stupid autozome kit so i dont know if thats going to work but it better...i have no idea what else to do if this doesnt work,ive hearld alot of diff things and pretty much tried all of them and nothing has worked....this just really sucks dammitt.

Quick Reply: updated overheating problem.....