Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Unable To Play MP3s On My 2012 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Wink Unable To Play MP3s On My 2012 Civic

I just purchased a 2012 Civic EX Sedan and I want to play MP3s through the car stereo. Inside the center console there is a USB connector that Honda states you can use to plugin either an MP3 player such as the IPod or a USB Flash Drive.

I puchased a 16 GB USB Flash drive from Best Buy the other day. I copied a bunch of MP3 files to the drive and then plugged the drive into the center console. I then selected Aux to choose the USB as the audio source and, after about 20 minutes of "reading" the flash drive I got an error saying "Unsupported." That's it. No other details.

I called the dealership and they really had no idea about what could have been the problem so I called the Honda America technical support number. The people at Honda told me that the flash drive was NOT the problem it was the fact that the MP3s I was trying to play did not have the correct "copywright info" on them (whatever that means, perhaps DRM?).

So I take the flash drive back upstairs and copy only 2 or 3 MP3s from my computer. These are MP3s that I "ripped" myself from the original CD (which I still own). I again took the flash drive down to the Civic and tried to play the MP3s. Same problem.

A few questions:

1. Do you guys think Honda is giving me the right information?

2. If so, what is this copy protection they are talking about? Wouldn't you think that the copy protection would have to be removed for the car stereo to play the MP3? (I thought the whole point of copy protection was to prevent MP3s from being played on foreign devices/programs other than the one used to purchase the MP3, eg. ITunes.

3. Is there a program out there that would allow me to "inspect" the MP3 to make sure it has all the correct "stuff" to play in my Civic instead of having to do this by trial and error?

Any other suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Jan

Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Try a smaller drive. It may be simply unable to address 16 GB of potential space, even if most of it is empty. Bigger drives could also come formatted NTFS instead of FAT, though I don't think it would take the player 20 minutes to not understand the format at all.

Put only a couple of files on it at first. Files you create with simple free software like Audiograbber / LAME will be in basic MP3 format, free of DRM and most likely to work.

Last edited by mk378; 06-17-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Try a smaller drive. It may be simply unable to address 16 GB of potential space, even if most of it is empty. Bigger drives could also come formatted NTFS instead of FAT, though I don't think it would take the player 20 minutes to not understand the format at all.

Put only a couple of files on it at first. Files you create with simple free software like Audiograbber / LAME will be in basic MP3 format, free of DRM and most likely to work.
i have a 4GB flash drive sitting around. i will try what you suggest. thanks!

will post results later.

one quick question... is there a program out there that can inspect an mp3 and tell me all the technical information (bit rate, drm, etc) so i know it will work before walking out to my car?

thanks!!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 AM

tackyjan, perhaps right-clicking and viewing the properties will give you that extra info...but I'm not sure. I can't imagine that it's so persnickety that you'd need to inspect each file before adding it. That would be pretty labor intensive!

I came to this forum because I was having the same problem and I'll try a smaller flash drive. I was worried I needed a *special* brand of flash drive or something. I haven't tried my phone yet.

It also wouldn't recognize an off-brand mp3 player that I had laying around and it doesn't support my iPod shuffle, but I have been able to use the shuffle with the jack that plugs into the aux port and the shuffle.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Post 2012 Honda Civic flash drive not supported, put fat on the drive

Originally Posted by tackyjan
I just purchased a 2012 Civic EX Sedan and I want to play MP3s through the car stereo. Inside the center console there is a USB connector that Honda states you can use to plugin either an MP3 player such as the IPod or a USB Flash Drive.

I puchased a 16 GB USB Flash drive from Best Buy the other day. I copied a bunch of MP3 files to the drive and then plugged the drive into the center console. I then selected Aux to choose the USB as the audio source and, after about 20 minutes of "reading" the flash drive I got an error saying "Unsupported." That's it. No other details.

I called the dealership and they really had no idea about what could have been the problem so I called the Honda America technical support number. The people at Honda told me that the flash drive was NOT the problem it was the fact that the MP3s I was trying to play did not have the correct "copywright info" on them (whatever that means, perhaps DRM?).

So I take the flash drive back upstairs and copy only 2 or 3 MP3s from my computer. These are MP3s that I "ripped" myself from the original CD (which I still own). I again took the flash drive down to the Civic and tried to play the MP3s. Same problem.

A few questions: Put FAT on your flash drive and it works fine

1. Do you guys think Honda is giving me the right information?

2. If so, what is this copy protection they are talking about? Wouldn't you think that the copy protection would have to be removed for the car stereo to play the MP3? (I thought the whole point of copy protection was to prevent MP3s from being played on foreign devices/programs other than the one used to purchase the MP3, eg. ITunes.

3. Is there a program out there that would allow me to "inspect" the MP3 to make sure it has all the correct "stuff" to play in my Civic instead of having to do this by trial and error?

Any other suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Jan
Put FAT on flash drive and it works fine

Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Default USB audio file

I have a 16gb sandisk. It works fine.
I have tried to play music files that had been on my Blackberry, I copied the files to the thumb drive and placed them in a "root" file folder named music. This works fine.
I do however have several songs that are unable to play. I too would like to manage my songs from my computer and a program that would help with this would be great.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM

My car started doing this just the other day! It's been reading my ipod fine, no problem! I got the car in October of last year. I'm going to call Honda tomorrow.