Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

uh, no horn?...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM
HCF Member
Default uh, no horn?...

WhenI bought my car, the horn didnt work...I thought it was a fuse missing, butI was wrong. I checked the fuses and they're all good.I have no clue what to do now, haha... Not thatI miss the dinky honda horn, butI need a way to get peoples attention when they cut me off, so they can actually see me giving them the finger.I dont have an airbag, andI checked under the steering wheel, and all the connections seem to be good.I have an alarm, butI dont know if that has anyting to do with it...

please help me!!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Default RE: uh, no horn?...

Lol i thought it was just me my car doesnt have a horn either but it might be ur steering wheel. my brother who was the previous owner told me in order for my horn to work i would need to change the whole steering wheel. but truthfully whenever i lift thecar hood up i never say a horn other than my alrm that i just put in

Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Super Cereal Admin

ok, this might be obvious, but look through the center grille on the front bumper... does it have the actual horn assembly? 'Cause that's kind of important to the horn working lol... if not, it might be the steering wheel.. well, not really the steering wheel so much as the buttons in the steering wheel.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Ten years in Canada, your horn may have just rusted away. Anyway the first step is to find the horn, unplug it and jump it to a battery and see if it sounds.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

Yes,I checkedif my horn's actually there, and it is connected. But Inever thought to test it... hahaI reallyshould get around to doing that!
And Ireally hopeI dont break anything... lol

Just another question...would you think a bigger horn from a Jeep, or a Crown vic, or from a bigger car fit nicely into myCivic without having to make anything sort of bracket?BecauseI dont really like the honda horn...I would much rather have abig car or truckhorn or something...

Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i swap swap out that BABY honda horn THEY SUCK.....

BUT simply with a 12volt light tester... simply check those wires for power... im not sure if they work off ground or power....
i swaped out my old 86crx horn and its ground activated so i had to use a relay to swap ground to trigger activated to use a chevy truck horn on it.... but they MIGHT have fixed that stupid issue with the older hondas... at least id HOPE!!!

horns go bad ALL THE TIME.... they go bad LONG BEFORE the horn contacts go bad....... and if you HAVE to you can simply hardwire up a new switch and put it on your console or something... simple momentary switch will work fine..

Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM

hmmm for some reason there no horn in my car but i just installed a car alarm. so suppose i find the main car unti horn wire can i wire it to my alarm system horn and just use one horn for the 2 system/ and by the 2 system i mean the car alarm and the main car beep beep alarm?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if ya mean use the siren as a horn... ummmm heck NO.. man you think a honda horn sounds pathetic.LOL a siren would realy suck! and just be anoying.......

Old 06-16-2007, 05:09 PM

lol ur probably right it was just an idea though but now that im thinking about it it should pretty dumb. but i dont want to change the sterring wheel if i dont ahve to but if i have to i want one of those civic steering wheel with the button on them i think there called the EX or LX ones.becasue the one i have its just plain

Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: s2000gtx

hmmm for some reason there no horn in my car but i just installed a car alarm. so suppose i find the main car unti horn wire can i wire it to my alarm system horn and just use one horn for the 2 system/ and by the 2 system i mean the car alarm and the main car beep beep alarm?
Lol ive actually heard some people do that......and when im in mexico, everybody has that. Lol they make it sound like someone is whistling to the girls to make the girls turn around

Quick Reply: uh, no horn?...