Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Turn my AC off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Default Turn my AC off!

I have a 2002 Civic EX and would love to turn my AC off and yet still be in defrost mode. On older models when you turn to defrost the AC comes on, but you can still turn AC off by hitting the AC button and yet remain in defrost mode. On the 2002 you can't without also turning off defrost. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can override this?

Old 12-20-2004, 08:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turn my AC off!

why? the defrost works WAY better with the ac on.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 PM

ha ha
Everyone seems to think that if you have the AC on with defrost on, your car will suddenly get colder, only thats not true.
Just leave it on, no big deal.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:02 AM
HCF Member

AC = Air Conditioning

Key word in that acronym is CONDITIONING, not coldening. I'm not even a techie and I know that mane. I'd imagine, if anything, the AC being on would cause your heater core to allow more heat to transfer through it and to the defrost vents.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:35 PM

Wow, I have no idea how these responses went that direction...but let me try to get it back on track...

I am looking for a way to be able to have my defrost on without my AC being on as well. Older models and 99.9% of the other cars on the road can do it, I just want mine too as well. Reasons for this have nothing to do with hot vs cold, etc.

My car is completely stock. With the AC always being on (I like the defrost/floor mode) I get poor gas mileage, stuttering accelleration, and a significant sapping of HP (thus the stuttering).

Can anyone help out?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

why? the defrost works WAY better with the ac on.

Oh, and I agree with this. However after the first 2 minutes of the AC being used to defrost a significantly "frosted" window, simple low-level heat is more than adequate enough to sustain a "no frost" window. I should have the option of turning the AC portion off once a window is defrosted and yet still allow the low-level heat to maintain a fog free window. I currently do not have that option...

Old 12-23-2004, 11:27 PM

I honestly dont think there is a way to turn off the AC with the defroster on.
Tell ya what, Ill go out to my '99 and try it on there and get back to ye.

Ok, I lied...
In mine, you can turn off the AC when the defroster is on. But I know that in our '03 Accord you cant.
So unless anyone knows of any electrical cheats or sommit, then nope, you cant.
Sorry man.

Cheers

Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 AM
HCF Member

no, theres a way to do it, i dont remember what it is though, ill see if i can find it. its something to do in a combination of turning the key on or off and holding the button or something. gimme awhile....

Old 12-24-2004, 01:42 AM
HCF Member

1) Have the car turned off.
2) Turn the "air condition position" **** to the left all the way (counter-clock-wise).
3) Hold the "back seat air circulation button" and the "a/c" button down. (don't touch the "defrost" button.
4) Start the car with the buttons held down, and wait for 7 seconds.
5) All done. You can turn the "A/C" off and on now.

P.S. To turn the original feature back on, repeat all steps, but for "STEP 2", turn the **** all the way to the right (clock-wise).

i got this from another forum, i hope it works. good luck and let us know.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:11 AM

wow thats some fancy button combo you figgured out there. I think honda should just have left it as an option to the driver if he wants his ac on or not, since driving without the ac on is better for the car (mpg, and power)

Quick Reply: Turn my AC off!