Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Transmission Linkage

ORIGINAL: timmytim
--- Still no response to my update about the CV axles. I'll have to assume they are in and keep on trucking.
An 1/8" clearance between the axle and transmission should be fine, especially considering all the whaling you did on them. Good luck with successful completion of your big project!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks, RonJ. Someone finally wished me some luck. I'm getting more and more worried everytime a screw or nut or bolt shows up in my "dunnowhereitgoes" pile. I am swapping parts between motors though, so I'm probably going to have extra stuff anyways. I also dreamed up another question while waiting to head to work...

I have my A/C Completely removed, no lines, compressor, electricals... This shouldn't affect the normal operation of the engine, should it? I've lost the pulley for it since the last major operation on this car (head gasket) and I've decided not to mess with it right now since it'sgetting coldanyways. I'm just wondering if there isn't some kind of vaccum or anything that could be lost by loosing the a/c system completely. I've also got two wires dangling with no where to go, one connects to the A/C Line by the lower rad hose, and one connects to the a/c compressor itself. I want to make sure that these not being connected wont effect anything also!

Thanks again! Off to work! [X(]

P.S. Anyone know why there's two outlet tubes on the bottom of my radiator (small ones)? I dunno where they go. I don't have any spare rubber hoses laying around or dangling, they seem like they might be inactive??? Thanks.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
June 2010 ROTM

The two small tubes are for automatic transmissions.

and btw...

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
mxs
HCF Member

engine harness and intake manifold would have been a lot easier when the engine was out of the car, but I guess it's too late for that now.

Put the axle through the hub and put the axle nut back on there, but leave the ball joint separated. Then hold the rotor with both hands and just smack it forward a few times. That should give you more force than a 2 or 3 pound rubber mallet

Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: timmytim

I also dreamed up another question while waiting to head to work...

I have my A/C Completely removed, no lines, compressor, electricals... This shouldn't affect the normal operation of the engine, should it? I've lost the pulley for it since the last major operation on this car (head gasket) and I've decided not to mess with it right now since it's getting cold anyways. I'm just wondering if there isn't some kind of vaccum or anything that could be lost by loosing the a/c system completely. I've also got two wires dangling with no where to go, one connects to the A/C Line by the lower rad hose, and one connects to the a/c compressor itself. I want to make sure that these not being connected wont effect anything also!
Disconnection of the A/C wires and removal of the A/C unit shouldn't affect normal engine operation. When the A/C is running, an electrical signal is sent to the ECU, which compensates for the increased engine load by increasing the idle speed. Disconnection of the A/C wires should simply eliminate this idle control, which is unnecessary anyway without the A/C unit installed.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 PM

You guys rock. I just got off work. update coming in the morning, thanks much for the replies!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Default Upper ball joint Won't go back in!!!

Upper ball joint Won't go back in!!! Okay, so i'm screwing on the castle nut and the ball joint just spins! ARGRHGRHRR What's the trick here felllas??? BTW --- I figured the CV axles almost have to be okay. There's no where for them to go once they are sanwiched in the suspension and everything fit back together like a glove except for this damn upper ball joint!I also smacked the rotor/hub assembley a few times once I got it on there.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: Upper ball joint Won't go back in!!!

well, make sure that the threads are okay, if not, fix 'em. It also won't hurt to replace the upper ball joint, but I'm not sure of any tricks.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 AM

good idea, i think i'll clean the threads with some steel wool. I refinish metal for a living so that stuff is aplenty... Brb with update ;D

Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 AM

cleaning threads did not work >:O HEEEELLLLPPPP [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Quick Reply: Transmission Linkage