Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Transmission Linkage

^Ohhhhh "Sit the F down." Said MXS.[sm=owned.gif]

Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

RAWR, DONT PRETEND ARGUE IN MY THREAD, PLEASE! [sm=WTFsgign.gif]Can anyone help with the CV question? Im stumped like a chopped tree. Can't tell you how disapointing it is to find replies to my thread only to find out that when I click them, theres people bickering about a punch. :| Also - Haynes says to reuse the spring clip. Your both right and wrong, now help me with my CV axles, RAWR!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
mxs
HCF Member

It's not pretend arguing, it's real [8D]

are you reusing the same axles/trans as before? or did you get a new transmission?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM
June 2010 ROTM

ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

the punch you need is not a specialty tool... it's just a punch, I think it's 1/4" or maybe the next size smaller. And a big sledgehammer
^wellll... ...you can simply use a regular punch to get it out, yes. But you will, in the process, deem the spring pin useless for future use. The special punch is used to ensure future funcionality.
Well if you want to get technical, you aren't even supposed to reuse the pin anyway [8D]
^very true, lol

okay timmytim, to get the axles in make sure it's seated corrected then, with a rubber mallet, hammer the other side of the axle (pretend the axle is a nail and the transmission's differential is the hole it's going into). If you can get a mallet in there, USE YOUR GUNS!!![sm=shootshoot.gif]

They can be tough to get in, but once it's in, it's in. It help to position the axle's retaining clip facing the open-end down. So it'll looking like an upside-down U. Also, that piece is recommended to be replaced, but, eh, I don't, unless it's not there, lol.

are you reusing the same axles/trans as before?
^If the seals aren't new, or if you don't know, just get new ones or you will be leaking tranny fluid all over.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM

I'm reusing the same tranny, yes. No problems with it before except it was slipping, but, after inspection of the clutch disc, it's hardly worn and the pressure plate seemsokay soI'm going to reusethem and assume that the minor slippage (mostly from an uphill start) was from a clutch cable adjustment issue. She'd burn the wheels a little on level ground, so it wasn't too bad. Umm.. So yea, it's dark and I don't feel like having a halogen lamp hanging above my head and working in my own shadow tonight. I appreciate the tips dano, I'm going to have a hack at it in the morning and slide an update through.

Cash is tight so I'm reusing and swapping mostly everything from the old engine. Main seals looked good (no cracks or shrinkage/swelling) so I'll leave those alone also. Not sure of any trany seals that you're talking about or cv seals or anything. The cv clips will be re-used (-$). Dynamically timed the motor, it was off by maybe 5/10 degrees (max allowed is like 12 degrees out of whack I think) before you have starting issues. I have a rubber mallet and will whack that thing in the morning and hope for the best.

When I re-attach the shift rod, and torque rod for the transmission, will I need to make sure what gear I'm in or something crazy like that? Or should everything be okay and I will know when I go to fire for the first time? Hayne's doesn't mention anything about marking transmission shift rod position or anything like that. --- Thanks in advance for the help fellas!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
mxs
HCF Member

If you're reusing the same axles/trans then you KNOW they will fit.... just keep wailing on it until it goes in.

ORIGINAL: timmytim

When I re-attach the shift rod, and torque rod for the transmission, will I need to make sure what gear I'm in or something crazy like that? Or should everything be okay and I will know when I go to fire for the first time? Hayne's doesn't mention anything about marking transmission shift rod position or anything like that. --- Thanks in advance for the help fellas!
There's nothing to mark because there's nothing to adjust... just put it in neutral once you bolt up the shifter

Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
June 2010 ROTM

The axel seals are on the transmission. Look at where the axels go in (the differential), on each side there is a rubber (with metal inside it) seal.

and ditto on the shift linkage, no worries on that.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 AM

Thanks, update coming in the morning.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM

Okay, so I'm 240lbs 6'1 and smashing these cv's with a 2 or 3 lbs rubber mallet and I've gone from a half inch of clearance to about an 8th inch. I'm assuming they are in because they need SOME clearance to be able to move freely. I didn't hear any popping or snapping to confirm that the clips were seated, but the gaps did close up considerably, I whaled on these things. For now I will assume they are in and wait to hear some opinions or advice from the techies while I plug up some of the top end of the motor.

I've also got the shift rod and torque bar re-attached. Thanks guys for the tips there. Next, I'll be installing the radiator/fans/wiringharness/intake manifold. Any tips here would be appreciated.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Alright, still have to hook up the battery, install misc. vaccum hoses on intake, air duct, air filter and then the suspension. Have to add the fluids after that and this baby should be ready to fire up. --- Still no response to myupdate about the CV axles. I'll have to assume they are in and keep on trucking. Gotta head to work now, I'll update again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Transmission Linkage