Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Default Transmission Linkage

Okay, so I'm doing an engine replacement and asked a bunch of questions and got no response. I trugged through the bs so far with zero guidance, and now I'm just stuck. Haynes manual says that you can remove the linkage from the transmission via removing the pin, but the damn thing won't come out. I pulled the motor out with the trans linkage still attached, and now it just won't go back in unless I remove the linkage and i'm just stuck. Can anyone help me? The car is an 89 1.5 DX Sedan. Thanks in advance for any help.I appologise for any "ranting", If it seems like I'm frustrated, it's because I am. [:@]

Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Transmission Linkage

Sorry to hear that you are in a bind. I don't know if it will help, but you can download a 1988 & 1990 Civic Service Manual at this website:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
June 2010 ROTM

you need a special spring pin punch. It's a specialty tool.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM

No, actually what I need is a miracle. The engine is hoisted to a steel beam in my garage cause my dad's a cheap s.o.b. --- So instead of renting the engine hoist like I asked, he rigs this contraption while I'm at work. Even if I did have a punch, this engine is swingin everywhere if I whack it with a punch n' hammer. Not only that, but it's not manueverable because it only hasone point on the ceiling to move.... --- Just a big disaster right now. Going to get some sleep and get back at it in the morning. Wish me luck and broken legs. :|

Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM
mxs
HCF Member

you could probably replace the shift linkage for like ten bucks... people throw those things away when they do engine swaps.

the punch you need is not a specialty tool... it's just a punch, I think it's 1/4" or maybe the next size smaller. And a big sledgehammer

Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 PM
June 2010 ROTM

ORIGINAL: mxs

the punch you need is not a specialty tool... it's just a punch, I think it's 1/4" or maybe the next size smaller. And a big sledgehammer
^wellll... ...you can simply use a regular punch to get it out, yes. But you will, in the process, deem the spring pin useless for future use. The special punch is used to ensure future funcionality.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Well, haynes suggests that it's not a specialty tool either. It just says to use a "8mm Punch".

Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 AM

I'm going to try it again for another few hours then i'm giving up for a few says. Been coming home from work to fix this thing every day, shot my whole weekend to hell and now i'm just out of energy... I'll send an update in a bit...

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Alright, rock and roll. I got the motor mounted up! I wound up re-adjusting the chainto a dif. location on the motor andpushing and shoving this thing until it finally did what I wanted. For anyone who as wondering ---Do not mount an engine torafter or steel beam in your garage. It's doable but a pain in the ****. Furthermore, remove the shift rod from the tranny side, and the shifter itself. Unlike me, who chose to leave it mounted to the tranny. Come prepared with an 8mm punch and slap the crap out of that spring clip until it comes out. ^_-

I'm ready to get the cv axles in, but they won't budge once I get them so far in.I'm trying to shove them in there and the haynes manual is useless on this one. Any tricks? Anyone? I still have about a half inch that needs to be shoved in, but it won't go [:@]

Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

ORIGINAL: mxs

^wellll... ...you can simply use a regular punch to get it out, yes. But you will, in the process, deem the spring pin useless for future use. The special punch is used to ensure future funcionality.
Well if you want to get technical, you aren't even supposed to reuse the pin anyway [8D]

Quick Reply: Transmission Linkage