Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

transmission cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:58 AM
HCF Member
Default transmission cooler question

I have a strange question, I'm going to install a remote spin on filter on my 98 civic, the transmission basically has no filter, and I'm already having problems with the linear shift solenoid valve, according to the Honda service bulletin, it's caused mainly by debris in the fluid. I already built the mounting bracket etc, what I need to know is which side of the transmission cooler is the pressure in side? driver or passenger? I'll just loop from between that and the transmission, so fluid will flow through the filter. Thanks guys, one i get it installed i'll post some pictures, also possibly looking for a good used linear shift solenoid valve from a 98 civic lx, non vtec.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM
HCF Member

bump. anyone know?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 AM
HCF Member

just a question... why not just change the filter that's there. you'll loose about 1/3 of your trans fluid. Top it up and go for a short drive. Come back, drain/top up trans. Another short drive, and once again drain and re-fill. By removing the pan and filter you loose about 1/3 of your trans fluid. By repeating this 3 times you've pretty much changed all the fluid in your trans with fresh fluid. Saves the cost of the part that you don't need. -- unless you dive hard all the time, which begs another question. Swap the auto for a manual?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There is a filter in the automatic transmission, but it is not in the pan. You have to remove the whole transmission from the car and crack it open to change the filter. Typically the filter eventually gets clogged and causes failure to go into gear and/or slipping due to lack of hydraulic pressure.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

ooops my bad. I assumed the filter was under the pan (like all the auto trans I've worked on) I didn't realize Honda located the filter inside the trans. Sorry for bad info!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

the only thing i can even see resembling a filter are the filter/gaskets under the shift valves on the outside of the case, I looked at the assembly diagram. Honda issued a service bulletin about contaminated fluid clogging the shift valves. They reccomend several fluid flushes and replacement of the linear shift solonoid valve. What i need to know is which side of the transmission cooler is the pressure side, driver or passenger. It's really easy to plumb in the remote filter, but i need that info first. I already drained the fluid and replaced it, I can add in the filter and cycle the car through the gears with warm fluid, and hopefully catch whatever is in the fuid, then another fluid and filter change.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

To determine the direction of flow, disconnect a cooler line and rotate the engine to see which one the fluid comes out from. Disconnect the power plug at the distributor so it will just crank and not actually start.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

I was hoping someone might know to keep from making a mess