Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Total Civic Rebuild: Tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Default Total Civic Rebuild: Tools

I am looking at totally rebuilding a honda civic, but need to know if it is conceivable. What toolsdo I need, at minimum, to perform this operation?

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Total Civic Rebuild: Tools

totaly rebuild...... like how much? you gotta strip the whole car COMPLETLY or just some parts for paint or fix if broken?

i would say if your not gonna do a serious rebuild by striping the whole car and repainting everything for a show car.... NOT WORTH IT AT ALL! it isnt so much hard work but VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY.... ect TIME CONSUMING! and then you have to put it all back together.... wow so much stuff that can get lost, and ya need to put loctight on every bolt to be sure it wont loosen up over time and fall out... and if your not EXTREMELY ORGANIZED then screws will get lost/misplaced/forgoten. so much bad.

BUT anyways to completly rebuild a car takes a good amount of tools some things even special tools needed, some allen some star some 12sided sockets, torque wrenches INCH lbs and FOOT lbs. basicaly if you dont have any tools currently...... drop the plans of TOTAL REBUILD and do more realistic and stick to fixing what needs fixing and leave the rest alone...

also to do a complete rebuild you must be very determined to complete! you dont wanna be one of those guys that goes thru 1/2 the process then gets burned out and has to sell it dirt cheap to get rid of it!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM

I guess it would not be a complete strip, just fixing what needs to be fixed and some performance options (exhaust, turbo, and other misc stuff). But I have, or my dad has, all of the tools needed to fix most tractors (sockets and wrenches not metric, some lighting, a couple of jacks, and some other stuff I can't think of). Maybe I should be more specific: What specialized tools would I need to fix up, repair, rebuild, a honda? Still kind of vauge though...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Air compressor and air tool are always helpful get the job done faster....spring compressor pulley/steering wheel pullers...the right tools make jobs a hell of a lot easier

Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well first off for a honda all METRIC sockets needed. not to much cash to spend there...
but depends what needs fixed up.lol if engine needs pulled, common metric tools, jack or two some jack stands, engine hoist of some type.... or drop the motor down and pick the car up around it to pull it from the bottom.

suspension parts is usualy common the ball joint forks and a BFH to pop the ball joints apart on front.
and in the rear most likely a torch do to seized bolts into the bushings. or if you can get them off the car a press and sawzaw to replace the bushings. posible drills, cutoff blades, grinder depending which bushing is seized and the way you want to do the process.
and for any suspension work VERY IMPORTANT with reinstaling soak the bolts down threads and shaft completly in ANTIseize! and some loctight on the threads is a good idea as well.

other than that its just small tools. torque wrenches highly recomended..... and DEFINATLY buy a manual for your car.... for most detailed how to info...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM

32mm socket for the spindle/axle nut, a 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm, and 8mm socket and wrenches.