Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member
Default Tools

I want to get some good tools forprojects and suchon my car. I'm going to hopefully become a honda mechanic in a few years so I'm ready to invest good money for good quality tools.Inaugust I'm going to get a full tool kit, so for now I just need like a ratchet set, and whatever else I'll need befor then. Any suggestions?

I'm going to be installing a B&M short shifter, energy susp bushings, and a megan header. I know that the nuts and bolts from the manifold to converter are going to be a pain to get off, so I'm going to get a breaker bar, any other suggestions?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Tools

Head on over to ebay and pick up some tools with lifetime warranties. Like snap-on, matco, or even craftsman. You'll save a ton buying them on ebay, and if they wear out or break, use the warranty. New snap-on is a little too expensive for my personal use tools, but I find some good deals here and there on the bay or at garage sales.

Starting with a nice 3/8" ratchet set, with extensions and flex joint would be a good idea. 15" and 24" breaker bars would be good too.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM

+1 ebay. +1 Snap-on.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

If your gonna be replacing the Shifter you'll want the punch specially made to knowck out the pin around the shift linkage. nto sure what it is called but it will save you tons of time and pain. a quality torque wrench is also a good investment

Old 03-20-2007, 12:45 AM
HCF Member

Like they always say... "barrow it once, thats ok." "Barrow it twice..... you better buy the damn thing"

good tools are always a necessity when doing your own work. You can NEVER have too many tools... if it looks good and you think youll need it later on down the road... chances are you more than likely will.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:38 AM
HCF Member

SNAP ON FTW!!!! I have maybe $20000 in Snap On tools. They dont break, they work all the time. Yeah they cost more, but you get what you pay for. I wouldn't trade them for a night with Aishwarya Rai!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any other suggestions for getting those nuts off the manifold to converter if it's rusted good to it?

What do you guys think about this air impact wrench and air ratchet set? I know it's not a craftsman or snap on, but that air impact wrench could save me a lot of time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

I like snap on, or craftsman, any you can take pretty much any craftsman back to a local Sears and they will hook ya up.

Anywho, a good mechanic's ratchet set is a plus, there isn't much you can't do with them. And maybe some of those ratcheting open ended box wrenches are awesome, but pricey! Also a few good torque wrenches, not the cheap kind, will help you keep your torquing to spec. When your working on your car, you had better have everything tightened just right, or you could pay the price with your life.

Look at the weekly adds that come out like on sunday in the paper. Sometimes they have killer deals on tools, you just have to look around.

I am glad to know that Ebay has them though, i never thought to look on there.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

i got a compressor from SEARS, 300 bucks they come with free air hammer, ratchet and impact + hoses and connectors.
also got some socket and wrench from SEARs, cost me around 500 for everything...
that was all i needed to fix my car.

i recommend craftsman tools!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM

If the bolts are really rusted, you might as well bust out your dremel tool(or similar) with a cut-off wheel and slice those suckers right off.

If you don't have a dremel, get one, they are totally cheap(like $40 for a decent kit) and so useful. If you use the emory wheels, be careful not to tilt the wheel after you start the cut, or they shatter with the quickness(safety glasses a must!).

Quick Reply: Tools