Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

too much oil now sluggish peformance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Default too much oil now sluggish peformance!

Hi guys im new, however ive come accross such a silly mistake by myself, ive put too much oil in my civic and now there is a popping sound from the exhaust and a loss of power?

when the car is stand still the idle lowers than normal and a strange popping sound from the back exhaust???

the model is a 1.5i 96 reg civic.

please help!

regards abs[/align]

Old 06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: too much oil now sluggish peformance!

Have you now drained some oil to bring the level to normal? If not, do so and see if the problem goes away.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Hey thanks for the fast reply, well i dont have the tools to get underneath the car to drain it, and i cant get to a garage as its sunday.. i will take it to a garage tomorrow however its not too bad is it? will the car be ok?

regards abs

Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's important to maintain the oil level at the full level and not much higher. Drain ASAP to bring oil to correct level.

If after draining, the problem is not fixed, check the ignition timing.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

^+1

you need to drain the oil out to the correct full level.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito..... to much oil can be just as bad as not enough.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: lendusabuck

Hey thanks for the fast reply, well i dont have the tools to get underneath the car to drain it, and i cant get to a garage as its sunday.. i will take it to a garage tomorrow however its not too bad is it? will the car be ok?

regards abs
You don't have the tools? Just go to any store that sells an adjustable wrench or a socket set. Make sure you have a supply of fresh oil on hand. Park one side of the car on a curb. Loosen the drain bolt and drain some oil into a bucket or pan you have laying around the house.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

it's not as big a deal as you think, it happens all the time to people, it will burn off fairly quickly, especially considering it's a civic.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dont know about your civic but mine doesnt seem to burn to much.... i think most burn more oil when its up at higher RPM speed around Vtec engagement point ive heard of some smoke coming out the back when ya hit that high RPM. i try to stay out of Vtec but sometimes cannt help it with the slow auto. now my 5speed i had it was easy as hell to stay out of or stay in.LOL

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

doesn't really matter what tranny you have or the level of rpms your motor operates at. if you just overfilled it by a little bit ("i'm not talking about overflowing out of the valve cover or anything"), then it's usually fine. and your motor doesn't have to leak it out, it will just burn it off over time and through use, as does any car. that's why you need to normally check your oil level frequently to make sure it's either not leaking somewhere, or if it's burning off too much excess for early signs of engine wear or failure. just think about how many inexperienced workers are in oil change facilities and stations, just imagine how many people overfill or underfill cars slightly, it's not as big of a deal as most people would imagine. as long as the frictions reduced, you shouldn't have a problem. i'm not saying this is the case here, but on average.

Quick Reply: too much oil now sluggish peformance!