Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...

ya the fender roller would preaty much fix that... SHOULD at least... BUT you SHOULDNT be rubbing them tires on stock suspension....

but for the front ya dont need the roller tool... just get a rubber hammer and hit those mounting tabs up in thier abit... at least thats all i had to do for my wheels not to rub, i just bent them up alitle bit and then used a lower profile clip for that top center mounting tab since im still running my inner fender rubber....
i just used the fender roller for the rear which was my main problem with my wider wheels..

i bought my tool from ebay...

http://motors.search.ebay.com/fender...0QQsacatZ34998

DONT do that rental tool crap id say tho! thats 390bucks tied up in it!!!! ya you SUPOSED to get that 300dollar deposit back BUT thats ALOT OF MONEY TO BE FLOATING AROUND if ya know what i mean!!! just buy the tool use it... and resell it..

thiers a used one on thier right now for buy it now 200bucks BUT it doesnt come with the heat gun... using the heat gun helps from cracking the paint when using the roller! and yes it does help!!!!!
your paints still gonna spider small cracks BUT paints not gonna flake off!!!!!!
only problem ya might run into is if someones bondod on that inner lip... unfortunatly... mine was... so i had to do alittle sanding and painting to touch it in. not visable now at least.... musta happened when some idiot drove on a flat tire with the tire slaping around in thier!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastw...QQcmdZViewItem

thats who i bought my fender roller from! quick shiping great packing! i recomend them!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TSR96civic

Why wouldI regret the cheap coilovers? I would like to go an inch or 2 lower.
Let me get this straight: you've got oversized wheels which are rubbing on the fenders when the suspension compresses, and you want to go even lower?!

Do you ever plan on having the other seats occupied in your car while driving?

Sorry - I'm an off-roader by nature, and I'm not trying to be insulting. I went through this with my Mustang when I was a kid. Bigger than stock, wider tires and two friends in the back seat (along with their luggage after I picked them up from the airport) made for a very noisy trip with all the rubbing - even with brand-new shocks as well.

Hey - Good Luck with whatever you come up with.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 AM

Thanks a bunch you guys, I had no Idea these wheels were oversized I got them from ebay for $600 wheels and tires I had noclue that wheel offset was going to be a problem...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Addiction: you dont have the inner fender rubber?I boughtMy civic with none on one side and one partial onthe other. The headlights were fogged so I got halos, now every now and then the halos fog up, I think I need the inner fender splash guards. Dont ur headlights fog up? What type of environment do you drive in?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TSR96civic

Addiction: you dont have the inner fender rubber?I boughtMy civic with none on one side and one partial onthe other. The headlights were fogged so I got halos, now every now and then the halos fog up, I think I need the inner fender splash guards. Dont ur headlights fog up? What type of environment do you drive in?
ya i hve my inner fender rubber up front. no problems there.... and well your headlights are either cracked or not oem and they are leaking which is very typical for aftermarket headlights! take the headlights off and run a bead of silicone around the edges of the headlights then sit them outside on a hot dry day with the bulbs OUT of the headlights that way the moisture will dry up then put the bulbs back in and reintal them....

my headlights dont fog up at all... but they are stock.... i drive in typicaly area.... snow winter... hot summer... indiana weather....

but oversize tires means wider tires.... your stock tires are ruffly 5.5wide I THINK.... or 6inches... and well the larger rim you go like up to most 17s they are typicaly 7inches wide... so thats what oversize tires mean.... cause a 205-40-17 SHOULDNT RUB on stock suspension....

you sure the suspension is stock? if the inner fender linings have been removed most likely its been lowered before!

BUT the main thing that is making you rub IF that is STOCK SUSPENSION is your rims offset.... with a lower number off set the more yoru rims stick out from the hub which just wants to grab onto the fender

but like i said i dont think your running stock suspension!!!!!! measure the height of your car all the way around......
my 99civic rear ruffly 24inches from the ground to the highest point in the fender arch....
if its any lower..... id say those arent original springs or MAYBE the douche just cut the factory springs or heated them up.... which would drop the car and also kill the springs spring rate giving you ALOT more spring travel which could again be your problem!
go make some measurements and if you can take some pictures of your suspension... cause you SHOULDNT be rubbing like ive said all along.LOL

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM

maybe... thanks for all the help!