Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Default Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...

Ok, so I have a 96 ex coupe and I have 17" wheels, the tires are all 205/40/17 and every now and then they rub with the fender right above the tire, when I drive over bumps or drop offs. Now these drop offs (not pot holes) and bumps are not dramatic at all andI try to drive carefully with the 17's. the suspension is all stock, and I was wondering what I could do to fix it? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...

maybe your shocks are worn out... also, you could roll your fenders. What is the offset of your wheels?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TSR96civic

Ok, so I have a 96 ex coupe and I have 17" wheels, the tires are all 205/40/17 and every now and then they rub with the fender right above the tire, when I drive over bumps or drop offs. Now these drop offs (not pot holes) and bumps are not dramatic at all andI try to drive carefully with the 17's. the suspension is all stock, and I was wondering what I could do to fix it? Thanks.
Check your camber, wheel width,and wheel offset.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

so is it just rubbing the inner fender LIP or the actual fender?

if the inner fender LIP is hiting the tires.... they buy a fender roller tool.
WORKED GREAT FOR ME!!!!!!

BUT if your rubbing on STOCK SUSPENSION.... sounds to me like your struts are DEAD!!!!!!!
only time i rubed on stock suspension with my old 17s was when they had 225/45/17s and that was just in the front!

your offset SHOULD be 40-42mm offset my old rims where 40mm offset but those where on stock suspension.... the 42 mm offset tucks beter tho.....
if your not sure about your offset... the pull a rim off the car and look at the inside mounting ring... it should have some numbers all around it which is size of rims and offset and even manufacture or model on most!

just like this.... you see model rim, manufacture date, offset, and a few more i dont know what they mean. LMFAO
Name:  NEWRIMS-09.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  65.1 KB

but you SHOULDNT have a problem on stock suspension with that tire size... gotta be OFFSET or your struts!

bounce your car afew times and let go of it.... if it keeps bouncing.... your struts are bad!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFI-X7UlwnY

Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM

Well when I bounced the car, it didnt continue to do so afterI stopped.. Here are some of the numbers: 17x7JJ [38], 2/4, 0/0, 5/100, 4/100, 4/114.3, and there was a 52 in the center of the wheel. I really dont know what all ofthese numbers mean... Hey another question, would stiffer coilovers work?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

your coil overs IF they come with new struts.... then ya they would help.... but so would new struts
if you like your stock height then just replace struts... would be cheaper at least.... just DONT GO WITH THE CHEAP COILOVERS!!!!!! youll regret it like most EVERYONE ELSE has....

Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Why wouldI regret the cheap coilovers? I would like to go an inch or 2 lower.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

38 offset is alittle out... but shouldnt rub on stock suspension.....

where is it rubbing? front or rear? and are your turning when it rubs? if ya cannt find out where its rubbing id say take the wheels off and look for rub spots.... if ya find out the problem area then we can try to help....

Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TSR96civic

Why wouldI regret the cheap coilovers? I would like to go an inch or 2 lower.
just do a search for ebay coilovers on this site

i never bought them.. i went with good struts and springs... the first time...

but with your rims 38mm offset MIGHT run into some problems.......or youll have to run negative camber and HOPE its enough.... or look for some new rims....

Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 PM

It rubs mainly right above the tire on the fender (bent in) lip. I think that the fender roll kit would work where do you get those? Here are some pics of where I think it rubs, sorry theyare so grainy.

Quick Reply: Tires Rubbing with wheel wells...