Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tire.s cupping

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Default Tire.s cupping

Hi all, the rear tires on my 2007 LX 4 dr. always end up developing a cupping surface and after rotating they all eventually have that cupping. This makes for noisy ruined tires. I had a dealer 4 wheel alignment after the OE tires wore out but the replacement tires developed the problem as well. So now my question is is this common with this generation Civic? Can this be fixed?

Old 02-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Default The cups

The alignment I mentioned was done at the dealer which explains why it didn't help. Yesterday I visited a tire/auto repair shop and asked them about my tire cupping problem. What they said was the cupping is due to the "camber" setting which has the rear tires tilted in at the top. To correct that they would install adjustable after market "control arms" so the camber can be set properly and avoid premature tire wear. They said this would permanently correct the problem without any ill affect to the handling or performance of the car.

Has anyone hear of this and will that fix it?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trep53
The alignment I mentioned was done at the dealer which explains why it didn't help. Yesterday I visited a tire/auto repair shop and asked them about my tire cupping problem. What they said was the cupping is due to the "camber" setting which has the rear tires tilted in at the top. To correct that they would install adjustable after market "control arms" so the camber can be set properly and avoid premature tire wear. They said this would permanently correct the problem without any ill affect to the handling or performance of the car.

Has anyone hear of this and will that fix it?
Yes it will if you set the CAMBER to 0.0 Degrees and the TOE IN to 0.0 Degrees NO LOAD. Then when you load down the rear suspension (by having an occupant ... plus etc) the toe will dynamically increase to be in spec. Worked great for me but I had to do it all by myself, including the alignment. We have a 2007 4DR EX Civic.