Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Timing question

I have had a random sputtering, stalling, no start problem. When I jumper the connector to check the timing I get no change. Tried it multiple times, in both the front and back of the connector, just to make sure. It stays the same.

It's a 90 1.5L civic,Is there any way to check that the timingconnectorharness is good? as in what are the connections going to when you jumper it. If Iknew what was being told to respond to the jumper, then I could check it.

I think it maybe the ecu
Dave

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Timing question

Jumper goes right into the ECU. I think one side is ground and the other side should read about 5 volts when not jumpered. When jumpered I think the check engine light will come on and stay on until the jumper is removed but not positive about that.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

I checked the connector and found 2.5v. This car has not started or even sputtered for a month. I had spark, and fuel.
In fact when cranking, but not starting, both the primary and aux injector were pouring fuel into the throttle body, flooding the engine. I have spent the last month checking everything I can with a factory manual.

Last weekend I was reading your response to a similar early 90's sputtering problem, and you reminded the guy to make sure he was in fact using tdc to check his belt, and not the normal timing marks. So I went out to double check that I hadused the correct marks. I had the plugs out, and thought that I would seeif just cranking the engine over if I could get the timing light to work. SoI put the jumper in and cranked over on the starter, thetiming looked close.

I put the car back together, pulled the jumper, and cranked it over, it started and ran for the first time in a month. I had not changed a thing, simply jumpered the connector and cranked the engine without the plugs. It ran for overan
hour, I set the timing, and this is when I discovered that jumpering the connector made no difference in the timing.

After an hourit no longer will run,but if I turn the keyfour times to the on position to prime it, it will sputter, that ismore than it was doing. I suspect my ecu is going bad.
Dave

Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Presently:

When you turn the key to ON, do you always hear the fuel pump prime?

When you crank the engine, do you see bright spark from all four plugs?

Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

I called the ecu repair shop, and the tech told me that if the timing connector was only showing half the voltage that it should have, it might be a problem. He suggested checking for corrosion on terminals. about a year ago I replaced the alternator because of a small pin hole in a heater hose, that sprayed the alt, and killed it, I think the o-ring in the alt. connector is missing, so I will check that. The electrical load detector sensor is tied with the alternator, so I guess it could bea problem.
Dave