Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

timing belt swap, no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Default timing belt swap, no power

I have not logged in here for a bit due to family and work but I know this is the spot.

I changed my timing belt on my 99 sohc civic motor (D16y8). After bolting it back up it idled rough and we noticed the belt was a bit loose.

Tear it down tighten the tension roller and it was tight but not too tight. Fired it up and it ran but kind of rough. A little bit of adjusting and it ran good at idle.

When I took it out to the road it had no power when the accelerator is pressed. It would rev but it feels like its being choked. It takes air in fine but its not either firing correctly or holding the combustion.

If its a valve opening incorrectly I would think it would have a hard time idling. This is my first timing belt and I need help getting my power back.

My distributor is next tonight and a timing adjustment. Is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks for the help all.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You probably have the belt on one tooth out of time. Take the upper cover off and TDC the engine and check the marks again. Also the spark timing should always be checked / adjusted with a timing light after replacing the timing belt.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM

I will time it out after work after I re-TDC the motor.

Some one asked about my GSR sensor and my MAF sensor as well. The newer motor in the older car may have eliminate the GSR from my exhaust but its the same plug so it may have been swapped.

I will update when I get home and get to it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM

always double check your marks and turn the motor by hand at least twice before putting everything back together.. you dont want to find out why they call them interference motors.. trust me.. but ya after hand turning line everything up again and make sure it's all lined up.. if all good you can eliminate that from your issue..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 AM

We lined it up the first night, but when the belt was loose it negated that.

I went from the beginning again last night and linned up the arrow and up and got a good tension on the belt.

It fired up and had good power, timmed it and it is still off a bit but I think its due to the car being up on one side so it wasn't 0 degrees up when we started.

Never touched the valve to the piston and don't intend too.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the help, the one tooth off is exactly what was wrong.

I still need some fine tuning as my harmonic notches are not exactly where they are supposed to be.

I tried to set them but I ran out of dist spin so I think I am still a bit off on my cam.

It is running and close to timmed so I am glad to have figured out this little project.

Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to put the ECU jumper in to get proper readings with a timing light. The CEL will light up steady when you restart the engine with the jumper in to show that it is in test mode. In normal run mode, the ECU will vary the timing all over the place.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

OK, my motor is a 99 d16y8 in a 92 four door.

Is my ECU a OBD1 or 2?

So I need to try the paper clip in the plug trick huh? No gay.

I will try and locate that harness today since its a job I did not do, the swap I mean.

Thanks again.