Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt rubbed through a sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Default Timing belt rubbed through a sensor

I recently had my timing belt changed in my Civic 1.4 1999 hatchand my mechanic forgot to tuck away a set of wires located beside the belt. The belt rubbed through the wire causing my engine light to go on. The wire was the Crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor and causes my car to go quite slow at times and stutter. I had another guy look at it and he said he fixed the wire by wrapping some insulation tape around it and tucked it away. The light is off however the symptoms are still there. Is thisby any chance going to damage my car? Hard to Fix? My honda dealer quoted me over £300 I dont want to spend that much money. Any help would be nice. Thankyou

Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Timing belt rubbed through a sensor

i would take it back to the guy that did the timing belt and ask him to fix it.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Sadly he ismy cousins best mate and when i did take it to him he pointed me to his dad the person who wrapped the tape and tucked it back in. Is it possible to order this online and get honda just to fit it for cheaper. Or does anybody know the symptoms of it being damaged, is it costing me more in petrol or damging my car?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did it ever run good after the timing belt job? It may be out of time. (well that's not a good thing to say, maybe "mistimed" would be better).

Old 06-16-2007, 05:47 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ahh yes, the CKF sensor. it reads the actual crankshaft speed and sends it back to the ECU. it's a small part, you should be able to find it used for cheap, and if you're feeling adventurous you can replace it yourself. you have to take a lot of stuff of the engine to get to it though, and if you don't have air tools it will be tough.

HOWEVER! there is a simple solution. You can trick your ECU into thinking that the sensor is there. Read this page for all the details. It's written for US cars but it may work for yours as well.

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm

good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Thanks very much guys. It hasnt ran good since the timing belt change so is there a way of checking if its out of time? Thanks for the link and I am no good with motors so I will ask another mechanic to change it for me if I cant get that trick to work. Thanks loads anyways I am in a good mood now hehe.